Lifted Scales

Marowana420

My baby BBXB is hurts again. this time its serious. a few days ago when it stoped eating, i saw dark spots on its back and i thought it got hurt jumping. day after i notice the scales are "fluffy", and by night time the scales are lifted.

since then i have been doing 25% water change every other day, added salt and UV. appetite is back to normal, but he still looks bad. is there anything else i can do to help this fish?

this tank is cleaned weekly, angle fishs in it are doing great. how did my aro get sick?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Sounds like it could be disease called "dropsy".

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_dropsy

If so, it is usually connected to water quality issues and internal bacterial infection. I would treat with a broad spectrum anti-biotic, probably tetracyclene. Do it ASAP, daily 20% water changes, tbs of salt per ten gallons and temp up to 32 C.

Good luck with this.

Marowana420

thanks Theo, i also think it has dropsy. i also read most fishes that get dropsy dies, sigh...

i've done all you have suggested with the exception of anti-biotics, and my fish seems to be recovering, it is acting normal now, "eating well, not staying at bottom, etc." should i still add meds?

also lets say if i take out 25g of water during my daily water change should i add 2.5tbs of salt everyday?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
You'll have to make the call on the meds based on your first hand assesment; if the scales are still puffy and protruding, I would probably go with the meds.

As for the salt, I would just treat all the new water poured into the tank as you add it.

Boydo

As it could be dropsy which is very dangerous, treating like Theo said would be your best bet. However you could also a milder infection called warped scales. Warped scales will cause scales to darken with almost grey color texture and they will also pine cone. Warped scales can be easly cured with 0.3% salt and melafix at full strengh. Ideal water quality is very important and a temp of 86-88 will be beneficial. I'm not a big fan of melafix however arowana seem to respond very well to it. In my experience this normally shows signs of improvment within 36 hrs.

HTH