Looking for GH arowana

Boydo

I didn't say expectation of customers I said:

I personally think that the expectations of some aro keepers is simply unrealistic, and this is a general comment about the hobby as a whole.

I do educate my customers and make it clear my service continues beyond the sale - for any reason. I will glady share and help educate hobbyist the best I can on this forum and others. Unfortunately it been from under fire on this forum as of late.

AroNoob

Hey Bret,

Do you still have the GH I linked to earlier (the one in your avatar)? That one looked like it was on it's way to be a stunner and I believe you mentioned once in a thread that it was raised in a black tank. I do admire a great XB but I think I will always prefer Reds, selling yours anytime soon??? LOL.

Thanks,

Ron

Boydo

Hey Bret,

Do you still have the GH I linked to earlier (the one in your avatar)? That one looked like it was on it's way to be a stunner and I believe you mentioned once in a thread that it was raised in a black tank. I do admire a great XB but I think I will always prefer Reds, selling yours anytime soon??? LOL.

Thanks,

Ron

Hey Ron! That Golden Head sold pretty fast after I took those pictures. It was in a black tank for a long time while it was with me and continued to develop steady. It was in a 180 with 4 foot t8 fixture with 6500 K philips long life in the front and a aquaglo in the back.

I'm not planning no selliing my red but who knows what the future holds.

exoticaquaria

A few more interesting pieces of info to point out about Mr.Goh advise.

There are some key things that I believe can be taken from his experience with grooming GH Xbacks.

Even though he uses the term "tanning", I think that grooming would be more accurate as he specifically states that he only uses "just normal white light ", and also states "white tank is a must", "Must be white tank, you can transfer to black tank after it reaches mid size" and last but not least "all this are high quality, it's the gene that is important and with skill you fully develop it's potential".

I think that this confirms that the environment that a high quality GH is kept in (especially when at a juvenile stage) is key to its proper development. Perhaps most importantly HO lighting is not used to achieve the high shine, or the development of gold in a GH xback. As previously stated IMO the term "groom" the fish would have been a more accurate description of what he actually does. Tanning implies darkening of pigment, such as what's done when one "tans" a red aro. A normal white shop light isn't going to "tan" anything. Perhaps this is where some people in the Western world came up with using some kind of intense lighting to "tan" their GH aros? This seems to be a case of ..... being lost in translation.

At one point in this discussion one of the members asks Mr. Goh:

"Hi mr richard just to check if we put back say a mid size 60% GHXB (around 15inch)
to WTT again will it help to improve the goldhead percentage and crossing? or it
will not help already since its already 1 yr plus old liao"

Mr. Goh's response ........ of cos it will

I personally think that the expectations of some aro keepers is simply unrealistic, and this is a general comment about the hobby as a whole. If a fish isn't stunning by the time it reaches 12-15" many people sell them and look for a better one. Long gone it seems are the days when one patiently waited 3-4 years, or more, for their aro to show its full potential, which for many fish is what it takes. Lots of time, TLC via good water quality, premium food, and an overall low stress ideal environment is what it takes to groom out a premium aro to its best.

the arofan thread about GH is a good read. especially with Mr Goh is involved in the thread!!! although, there must be more info on grooming thats a trade secret. i hope we can further understand what the guys in asia are doing so we can duplicate this here in canada. im hoping jay from arovillage can take me around when i do visit singapore. id really like to learn as much as i can before importing one for myself someday. i know raffles produces a lot of stunning gold heads themselves. maybe the farms who produces GHs can do a little write up and summarize the "proper" techniques to be used to maintain the GH/Shine to their customers over seas. after all, GHs are $$$ and satisfied clients is im for sure their #1 priority.

RTG

hey Boydo! How many hours do you usually leave those Philips Flourenscent lights on?

T1KARMANN

tanning is not poss for some mixed comm tanks you try to turn the lights on for 24/7 in a tank with aros and rays you will have some very stressed rays that will stop feeding

this is a reason we see better aros imported to what they turn out like

a young aro or one at a show can be groomed as you put it far more easy in a tank on its own