My Rtg not giving into eating pellets....

mike

Its been about a week and a half and i havnt fed anything but pellets.... hes not giving in.... should i just give in and feed him some shrimp and bloodworms or??....... how long u thinkhe can last without eating?

GRANDDRAGON

hey Mike dont worry soo much. Sometimes Aros go on a hunger strike. As for feeding pellets just be patient, if he does not eat right away dont worry. Feed 1st day one pellet if does not eat fish it out and try again 2 days later and if he does not eat again wait another 2 days. He will eventually get hungry and when he does only feed the amount he can eat in one sitting and do not try to overfeed. Let your aro get used to the taste, texture of the pellet. Also aros can go a long time without food just remember they do not eat every day in the wild. hope this helps you.

Kenta

Administrator
Don't give in, a healthy fish will not starve itsself to death, it'll accept pellets sooner or later.

Also, try to keep the ph very stable and water very clean as well as a little warmer than normal... increases their appetite a lot

ninjaturtle

just keep feeding it pellets... put a few pellets in n turn the lights off n overnight he;ll try to nibble at it

mike

haha ok i wont give in then i suppose.... just dont want him to starve.. lol!

ILl keep going strong at it and see in a few days if he excepts the pellets or not...

i put it in his krill and he eats it ... just he doesnt like the pellets on its own.

danfong88

Yes, they can go on hungry strike.... once they do not eat, take the food out after 10 min. Then wait for a couple of hours and then feed again. Variety is the key. Check the water quantity make sure your nitrate and ammonia level are fin. Then check the ph level, even try to increase the temp 83 degree celcius.
When my aro was not eating... just be patient. Also, try some salt about 2 tablespoon. ( depend on your tank size). Good luck if you have questions please ask.

T1KARMANN

if the aro is below 12inch just give it what it wants to eat

the 1st year of an aros life is very important and it needs to be fed well

once the aro gets to 12inch then you can starve it and get it onto the foods you want

a 12inch aro can go 1 month without food easy so dont give in once you start trying to get it onto other foods

EKen

Super Moderator

once the aro gets to 12inch then you can starve it and get it onto the foods you want

a 12inch aro can go 1 month without food easy so dont give in once you start trying to get it onto other foods

Good advise right there. I don't like starving my fishes, I am too sensible for that. Plus young aros shouldn't be starved, at least, not for too long.

mike

oh ok. he still hasnt excepted the pellets i guess i gotta start loading him up with shrimp and stuff lol... i gotta make up for the 2 weeks he didnt eat... =s

kookus

Try loading some pellets in the shrimp so that he gets the taste of the pellets. Associate the smell of food to it, if that makes any sense.

T1KARMANN

hmmm 7-8" i think?

at 7-8inch just feed it what it wants then feed the pellets when it gets to 12inch

at 12inch just feed the pellets and nothing else

i have a rule in my tank eat or die i have never had a fish foolish enought to starve to death

mike

Try loading some pellets in the shrimp so that he gets the taste of the pellets. Associate the smell of food to it, if that makes any sense.

Yea i tryed that he eats it when i sneak it in his shrimp or krill lol.

at 7-8inch just feed it what it wants then feed the pellets when it gets to 12inch

at 12inch just feed the pellets and nothing else

i have a rule in my tank eat or die i have never had a fish foolish enought to starve to death

Ok ill grow him to 12" and ill Go drill sergent on his ass! lol :)

homebrewed

Super Moderator
T1KARMANN is right. A healthy stubborn fish will never starve to death. I had a catfish go on strike for 5 months