PH level confusion. Help!

cape

Ok so this is strange. I know arowanas prefer PH at about 7 ish so i tested my water to see how the water conditions are. Its pretty high at 8.5 so I was thinking maybe my tapwater is just high so checked my tap water and it came out to 7-7.5? How is this possible? I did a 50% water change and same thing? I also have driftwood in my tank which is suppose to lower PH? Please any advice or help to lower my tank ph?

EEYY

Maybe due to calibration. Normally, user should calibrate the tube once per year.

Ok so this is strange. I know arowanas prefer PH at about 7 ish so i tested my water to see how the water conditions are. Its pretty high at 8.5 so I was thinking maybe my tapwater is just high so checked my tap water and it came out to 7-7.5? How is this possible? I did a 50% water change and same thing? I also have driftwood in my tank which is suppose to lower PH? Please any advice or help to lower my tank ph?

hondas3000

normally ph in tank always lower then tap water unless you have crush coral in your tank. What do you use to test the ph with?

skynoch

Do they lower the ph of the water from the supply company? Depending where you live the water could gas off once in your tank causing the ph to rise.

cape

I use test strips. Am located in Markham. Should I just try to continue water Changes?

Last edited:

skynoch

Try filling a bucket with water for a day and then test the bucket to see if the ph is the same as your tank or as the tap, that way you will know if the problem is with your tank or your supply company.

T1KARMANN

most fish do fine in any ph as long as its changed slowly

its best to change it once to low if it high and let it come up slowly

the ph in my tank is 8.5 the rays are breeding in that and the aro is doing fine

its best to get your fish used to the same ph as your tap water then you have no need to keep messing around with it