Raised scales??

laz_dvl

I posted this in another section, but I haven't had any clear responses yet. The 3 scales on top of my aro head are a little raised, just the tip of the scales. It's been like that for 2 weeks now. I've looked everywhere on the net' but haven't found anything like this for arowana disease. I already did a WC 25-30% and added some aquarium salt, how much salt is enough??? The manufacturer said 1 tbs per 5 gallon, and my tank is 200g, so should I put 40 tbs???

Kenta

Administrator
Hey,

I think your XB as mentioned before has hit its head. The scales may be loose and fall of on their own or heal on their own. If anything, keep the water clean and water parameters stable. You can add salt, i would add in the range of 20-30 teaspoons over the course of a day or two and also add melafix/pimafix over the same time period.

Monitor the scales progress and if you can provide a picture as they speak a thousand words

Aroboy II

Just pay more attention to the 3 scales for the next few days if they are not drop-off. If the need arises, you need to transmore the aro and remove them manually so that the scale will grow back nicely. The scales will drop of by themselves in most cases. Cheers.

eclipse

I posted this in another section, but I haven't had any clear responses yet. The 3 scales on top of my aro head are a little raised, just the tip of the scales. It's been like that for 2 weeks now. I've looked everywhere on the net' but haven't found anything like this for arowana disease. I already did a WC 25-30% and added some aquarium salt, how much salt is enough??? The manufacturer said 1 tbs per 5 gallon, and my tank is 200g, so should I put 40 tbs???

Bro, I would suggest u to put a heater of 30degrees in addition to ur WC and salt(should be 1/2 to 3/4pack of 1kg shld be enuff) and also change ur filter wool to a new set. It should be able to heal within a week.=). Cheers. This regime is for raise scales due to parasites or water parameter induced problem.

If ur aro hurts himself due to the banging of covers. It would be good if u transmore the fish and pluck out the scales as it is very painful for the fish to swim with raised scales due to injury.

Alternatively, u can add premafix or melafix and put heater of 30degrees to monitor if the scales do close up. A picture of the problem would be good for us to see what problem yr aro is facing.

Cheers. Juz my 2 cents worth.;)

Louis787

Hi,

Since you have not mentioned anything on your arowana's behaviour, I will assume that it is swimming and eating normally, and therefore is not affected by the raised scales.

However, as mentioned above, if left like that, might pose an invitation to infection and eventually will be come a serious problem.

Because we have no pictures to accurately judge the severity of the "lifted" scales, I cannot tell you that a new one will just grow in its place and have the old one fall off, but just monitor your fish's behaviour, as well as the scales itself.

Good Luck!

laz_dvl

Oh, I forgot to add, that it's just the tip of the scales that is a little bit tilted up. My fish is swimming and eating normally.:eek:

other004.jpg

Lousy pic, but hope it helps

Last edited:

shchiam1978

Oh, I forgot to add, that it's just the tip of the scales that is a little bit tilted up. My fish is swimming and eating normally.:eek:

other004.jpg

Lousy pic, but hope it helps
It's hard to tell based on the pic shown. melafix will help, raised up the temp and add salt.

But this could be droopsy issue as well.
Can't tell much based on the pic.

h.l_nathan

no you cant keep on putting salt in there. Salt will only harden the water. Its due to the hardness of the water i Quebec that make those thing happen.
I had that problem and went to get RO water. did water change every few days the scale went back to normal.

Boydo

He probably hit his head, but when the scales raise the aro is very open to infection. If he is not eating well, increase temp to 88-90F and add salt( 50/50 aquarium/epsom) to 0.3% - do this over at least one day not to shock fish. Add a Melafix/primafix at suggested dose for one week. Most importantly keep a good eye on water param's, these types of injurys can take weeks to heel, and month to be totaly gone.

Best of Luck.