Scanning arowana help

tomuhs

Hi guys,

I was just trying to scan my arowana to verified the cert since some of my friends were questioning the id of my fish and it seems that I'm not able to get any scans on him. Has anyone had any experience scanning a fish b4? We took the fish out the water and held the scanner (with the part saying read here) right over the head and ran it down to the tail with no luck. Is it possible that fish could not get tagged at all? The scanner im using is the avid minitracker 3.

Appreciate any input

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
As far as I know the small fish get belly or shoulder chipped shortly before ship out. I have heard of one case where a chip came out of a fish that got knocked about by other aros in a com tank. Other than that story, the Maju fish have always scanned correctly for me. I use a scanner I got from Panda 5 years ago, not sure about the model you are using.

tomuhs

Thx Theo. Ill try again tomorrow with the aid of a fellow forum member. Maybe my aro is too fat lol but im still a little concerned that there might b no chip as the scanner has worked on 10 other aros and was used 3 weeks ago. Scary...

tomuhs

So aro scanned that same night. Using the Avid tracker 3, unit does not scan through glass even on smaller aros. We ended up finding the chip on the belly by taking the fish out. Takes a while to register and you need to be directly over the chip while pressing the button vs holding it down. Just wanted to inform those who have never tried b4.