Silver Tiger - Location

Sygoomei

A friend and I are having a discussion regarding Silver Tigers (quadrifasciatus). I recently bought the 'Aquarium Atlas' and it states that Silver Tigers come from Asia. My friend however says that Silver Tigers only come from South America. Does anyone know for certain where they come from?

Vultexap,
Damien

JMorash

They come from Asia, as do all other dat species. Your friend is more then likely mistaken because of the common "trade name" quadrifasciatus are sold under, "American Tiger Fish". I've tried to trace the origin of the name "American Tiger Fish", to find out why it was called that, my search has been fruitless.

Quadrifasciatus has a wide range and can be found from india, throughout south east asia and apparently into australia. I am going to take a guess that if quadrifasciatus has such a wide range, it may be found on the Philipines, and since the Philipines were a US (American) colony. Possibly they gained the name that way. Just a guess, don't quote me on that.

Anyways, hope that helped,

Justin Morash

Sygoomei

Thanks for the reply Justin!

My friend and I have discussed the matter further and he now appears to agree with you.

Vultexap,
Damien