Water Ph.

Cricket

So i finally got to checking the ph in my water barrel(which holds roughly 80+ gallons). All I have in it is a heater and lots of aeration. However I have a bit of a problem the ph in my water barrel reads 8.2 my small tank water and the water coming out of the tap reads 7.8 my bigger tank reads 8.2:confused: Ive been wondering what is causing the ph in my water barrel to spike. I can't seem to find out what is causing this, so I thought maybe it was the water barrel its self. I switched over to a 50 gallon hex glass tank, filled it up stuck a heater in it with lots of aeration and then checked the ph, it reads 7.8; I woke up in the morning checked the ph again it reads 8.2:confused:. So I was wondering, can too much aeration cause a swing in ph?

Cricket

I was thinking maybe it has to do with the gas exchange after sitting in the barrel/tank for 24 hrs with aeration. Um maybe if i treat the water with a water conditioner first? I will try that tonight.

carcrazy

I have heard of people using peat moss to lower the ph and soften water. Perhaps you can attach a filter somehow with peat moss in it and run it for a while? As long as there is no fertilizer in the peat moss, it should be safe.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Tap water stabilizes after about 24 hours. There's no point in testing right our of the tap, since you will get a different reading 24 hours later. Things like aeration and even temp swing will give different readings as well.

EEYY

So i finally got to checking the ph in my water barrel(which holds roughly 80+ gallons). All I have in it is a heater and lots of aeration. However I have a bit of a problem the ph in my water barrel reads 8.2 my small tank water and the water coming out of the tap reads 7.8 my bigger tank reads 8.2:confused: Ive been wondering what is causing the ph in my water barrel to spike. I can't seem to find out what is causing this, so I thought maybe it was the water barrel its self. I switched over to a 50 gallon hex glass tank, filled it up stuck a heater in it with lots of aeration and then checked the ph, it reads 7.8; I woke up in the morning checked the ph again it reads 8.2:confused:. So I was wondering, can too much aeration cause a swing in ph?

Unless the ph is really that high, otherwise I would guess that you need to re-calibrate your ph meter/monitor by using ie ph 4.01 / 7.01 / 10.01 Milwaukee buffer solution.

EEYY

When I add aeration for 24 hrs the ph changes. Oh well ill just use some prime.

Another quick way to lower your ph level is to add acid / neutral regulator (by Seachem), but you need to use it gradually. The best case is to add the acid regulator and checking the ph level at the same time.