What is the minimum number of Asian arows you'd put together?

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I was raised to believe you needed a minimum of 8 aro's to have a peacfull community tank and prevent alpha fish from dominating.. however even then i have seen japanese tanks with 8+ aro's and owner still has to put dominant aro into seperation..

I was always of the understanding that the point of making 8+ aro tank was to get a pair to form in hopes of breeding.. once pair forms take out all the others..

eddie73

I have personally kept comm of 7 pieces, 9 pieces and 20 pieces.

Numbers not important as long as it is not a 4-corner fight between 4 aros.

So I would safely say the MORE THE BETTER

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I was always of the understanding that the point of making 8+ aro tank was to get a pair to form in hopes of breeding.. once pair forms take out all the others..

You got it Yuppa - that is exactly where I am coming from! :)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have personally kept comm of 7 pieces, 9 pieces and 20 pieces.

Numbers not important as long as it is not a 4-corner fight between 4 aros.

So I would safely say the MORE THE BETTER

Oooh, four corner fight sounds very nasty!

Ok, so next question then, how many HBRTG's could be together for say four years (till sexually mature) in a 670 gallon tank (2500 liters)? Dimensions are 10 feet by four feet by 2.5 feet.

theweb88

Ok, so next question then, how many HBRTG's could be together for say four years (till sexually mature) in a 670 gallon tank (2500 liters)? Dimensions are 10 feet by four feet by 2.5 feet.

Actually don't quite understand your question.

Anyway, for that size, you could easily accomodate 9 adult size aros provided you have good water management (which is the key) to accomodate the big bioload.

As to sexually mature, are you referring to breeding or possible aggression due to hormonal changes? Bear in mind, rtg tends to mature faster than Reds in general, so may not be 4 years in some cases.:)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Actually don't quite understand your question.

Anyway, for that size, you could easily accomodate 9 adult size aros provided you have good water management (which is the key) to accomodate the big bioload.

As to sexually mature, are you referring to breeding or possible aggression due to hormonal changes? Bear in mind, rtg tends to mature faster than Reds in general, so may not be 4 years in some cases.:)

Yes, I am hoping to raise a group of RTG's to sexual maturity so as to get a pair. 9 sounds like a very good number. I actually think it is even a popular number for an aro com, possibly for fung shui reasons? :)

theweb88

Yes, I am hoping to raise a group of RTG's to sexual maturity so as to get a pair. 9 sounds like a very good number. I actually think it is even a popular number for an aro com, possibly for fung shui reasons? :)
9 is a number usually associated to fengshui. However to breed in tank is rather challenging. RTG breeds much easily than SR in general but success in tank breeding is still very limited.:)

eddie73

I would say a dirty dozen indefinitely :D.

If the tank is mine, I would put 20 pieces inside :D:D

As you can see, we Malaysians here don't go by the book.

eddie73

good luck bro!

I would reckon the most peaceful comm tank are sibling aros. But if you are pplanning to try to breed, this is not recommended.

And to "comm" aros of different batches are challenging as some may be compatible and some may be not. Incompatible ones may result in casualties.

So this is risky business.

At this moment, I have

8 x 2.5 x 2.5 with 9 Super Reds inside. A bit cramped but still ok. My aros are 1.5 years old and 18" long.

So if planning to keep more aros and not have enough capacity, you have to compensate by making more frequent water changes.

Nothing is impossible :D:D:D

protoxeno

could I put mud and some plants in tank to make the aro feel like in a mud pond to get them to breed that way?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
good luck bro!

I would reckon the most peaceful comm tank are sibling aros. But if you are pplanning to try to breed, this is not recommended.

And to "comm" aros of different batches are challenging as some may be compatible and some may be not. Incompatible ones may result in casualties.

So this is risky business.

At this moment, I have

8 x 2.5 x 2.5 with 9 Super Reds inside. A bit cramped but still ok. My aros are 1.5 years old and 18" long.

So if planning to keep more aros and not have enough capacity, you have to compensate by making more frequent water changes.

Nothing is impossible :D:D:D

Hmm...interesting! Where did you source your aros and did you make sure they were not siblings?

theweb88

Hmm...interesting! Where did you source your aros and did you make sure they were not siblings?
Even if they are siblings, inbreeding them is still alright unless you continue doing it for generations and going big time commercially. :)

h.l_nathan

i think 3 is an ok number for them but dont try put 3 xback together they will fight 'till death. i tried 2 reds after 1 year they were fine, but i had to speed up water flow and watch them for 3 weeks