which water is best for water changes

h.l_nathan

B4 when i was down in B.C i only used tap water and everthing is fine. Now i reside in montreal and the water up here is whacked even if i left it to over night. There is two options now. 1 bottle water 2 reverse osmosis water which one is better. any one have a clue

protoxeno

Hmm? are there any special qualities in the tap water at Montreal? What do you mean its whacked? I don't live in Montreal so I don't know.

h.l_nathan

the water is very hard. the city pipeline is 60 years over due. I bought an RO machine but it takes 12h for it to filter way too long cause i work 7 days a week. no time to wait for the machine to filter...

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I know in the interior they have exceptionally hard water in some communities, everyone uses water softening minerals.. I have no idea if its bad for fish tho..

EKen

Super Moderator
To be honest, I do water changes with tap water and did not notice any side effects on my fish. I do it by the bucket, adding the right amount of conditionner in each bucket. I did not get any problems yet.

rulaifu

the water is very hard. the city pipeline is 60 years over due. I bought an RO machine but it takes 12h for it to filter way too long cause i work 7 days a week. no time to wait for the machine to filter...
You did not mention this to me the other day you were at my place. I have a water system in my house. The first system is to remove chloride. The second system is the water conditioner, which makes the water softner. Hardness of water in Montreal varies. In my living area, the hardness is 13, but it does not mean the same in your living area. If you are interested in the water system (it is about CAN$ 10000 when I had it installed in my house in 2005), you can PM me for the contact info.
To be honest with you, I don't think it is A MUST as long as you have space to age the water.

h.l_nathan

oh I have plenty of space.My hardness is at 15 sometimes 16 thats too hard for any fish cause they use too much energy while swiming and their breating is heavy. So the aro color potential is not that good. but $10000 i'll just buy myself an big RO filter for $700 less $ on water and more on fish.

rulaifu

oh I have plenty of space.My hardness is at 15 sometimes 16 thats too hard for any fish cause they use too much energy while swiming and their breating is heavy. So the aro color potential is not that good. but $10000 i'll just buy myself an big RO filter for $700 less $ on water and more on fish.
I suggest you adding some big drift wood in your tank -- only suitable for your case.

h.l_nathan

driftwood no thanks. I just want to know wheather i should change with bottled water so in a way its more easier for me, but is it better than RO filtered water. if bottled water is good then i just get it delivered to my house for 50 gal a week. less work sometimes i need time to sit back and enjoy the fish too

rulaifu

driftwood no thanks. I just want to know wheather i should change with bottled water so in a way its more easier for me, but is it better than RO filtered water. if bottled water is good then i just get it delivered to my house for 50 gal a week. less work sometimes i need time to sit back and enjoy the fish too
If I were you, I would never consider the bottle water. I never touch RO filtered water, so I can not give you any comments on that.

h.l_nathan

thanks anyways. I just order a different RO machine that does 200 gal per day but it comes with a pump so i can just fill a 200L drum and let the RO machine cycle itself until the water is pure enough for the aquarium.

h.l_nathan

thank you. I'm just trying my best to keep my fishes happy. Spoil them a bit is a good thing. After all spending times with them take alot of stress away from a long days work.

rulaifu

thank you. I'm just trying my best to keep my fishes happy. Spoil them a bit is a good thing. After all spending times with them take alot of stress away from a long days work.

That is exactly my feeling. It really releases my stress during the day when I enjoy and watch them during the evening by hours.

Last edited: