What would you rather have?

arl

Just continuing a subject opened at the group buy section.... Would you rather have a community tank of cheaper arows or just a single "flawless" arow? By cheaper comm I mean 7 RTG's against 1 golden head or platinum(cost almost the same) or 4 ordinary SR's against expensive SR's like a munjul SR's or the likes. Any opinion is valid:D.

arl

I'll start..... I'll go for a community tank. There's just nothing compared to 7 arows swimming together. I had a BMB before but for some reason its a little boring, good thing I had discus with it. So when I had a chance to re-do my set up I know it has to be an arowana comm tank. Doesn't matter if they're not x-backs. Just my opinion.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I am going with a PGS community tank based on what Mr.Kan said to me. He told met that in his opinion the Panda Gold Supreme is the most under-rated fish on the market today in terms of value for money. It is made by crossing Panda Gold Xbacks with RTG's/HBRTG's, again and again. Over time this hybrid has become closer and closer to being an Xback. In fact, some fish actually go on to cross over and become full Xbacks. Some unscrupulous traders actually buy the PGS fish from Panda and pass them off as Xbacks under their own name!

For my first attempt at an Asian arowana community tank I think I am making the right choice. Maybe one day I will move on up the chain so to speak... :D

MananaP

If i had the space i would be looking at a community of 9 fish to 12 half SR's and half Xbacks.

MananaP

if i have my way i would have comm tanks of various varieties:D but i guess i will have just one aro if budget is a concern for me...

With the current market conditions, the price difference between an ordinary SR and a supposed higher quality red is very little ..especially if you can buy straight from farms. Is the supposed reputation of farms that important? That topic has been discussed to death in forums like arofanatics.com.... the general consensus is that farm reputation is secondary as reputation can be 'built' through many means like marketing strategies etc... the main point is to see the quality of the aros and most importantly, you like it and am willingly to pay the price for it... imho....

I agree with you my friend.:)

MananaP

thanks stephen... by the way the ITs at king Ed are all gone! :mad:

WHAT!:eek: i thought noone is going to buy them. They were a bit expensive and it has been there a month i think. I took one and there was about 4 left i think. Are you sure they were all gone? 'cuz i swear they are expensive XD.:D

MananaP

i am pretty sure they are gone ....or maybe i was in such a rush that i didnt see carefully...

Yup maybe you didn't see them,i thought there was 2 left because i only see two i didn't see the rest hiding on the rock like driftwood. 3 was really black,i got one and he was solid black before after 24 hours he came out to be a beauty,still not eating though because they fed them feeder fish there and i really don't want to give them life food eccept MP and pallets. So i am still training them now,battle of the wits i guess.:cool:

arl

If there is no other choice, I would go with comm. tank, but not RTG. Either good quality reds or golden heads cross back. That is what I have now.

One thing though with expensive comm is that it is just such a waste to see a golden head with broken fins and scales. Although they tend to mellow down with age but it just hurts more to see a NICE scale scratched and ripped off. RTG's are brutes and tough looking.

arl

I am going with a PGS community tank based on what Mr.Kan said to me. He told met that in his opinion the Panda Gold Supreme is the most under-rated fish on the market today in terms of value for money. It is made by crossing Panda Gold Xbacks with RTG's/HBRTG's, again and again. Over time this hybrid has become closer and closer to being an Xback. In fact, some fish actually go on to cross over and become full Xbacks. Some unscrupulous traders actually buy the PGS fish from Panda and pass them off as Xbacks under their own name!

For my first attempt at an Asian arowana community tank I think I am making the right choice. Maybe one day I will move on up the chain so to speak... :D

That's a great choice!! Welcome to the RTG commer's club!:D

arl

if i have my way i would have comm tanks of various varieties:D but i guess i will have just one aro if budget is a concern for me...

With the current market conditions, the price difference between an ordinary SR and a supposed higher quality red is very little ..especially if you can buy straight from farms. Is the supposed reputation of farms that important? That topic has been discussed to death in forums like arofanatics.com.... the general consensus is that farm reputation is secondary as reputation can be 'built' through many means like marketing strategies etc... the main point is to see the quality of the aros and most importantly, you like it and am willingly to pay the price for it... imho....

Hey orijen, SABF is one of the most reputable farm in Singapore. They may not be as popular as the other farms but their aros is one of the best, specially their x-backs. I read that Panda got some of their X-back for infusion(breeding) with their x-back to improve the color. A few years back when panda won in the aquarama, x-back category, it was said that it actually came from SABF. When I was planning my RTG com. SABF was actually my first choice but I just don't know how to source them out.

arl

If i had the space i would be looking at a community of 9 fish to 12 half SR's and half Xbacks.

That's gonna be pricey! What about if you are to choose only between 5 RTG's against 1 high end XBack(kinda like the one you have now) what will you pick?

EKen

Super Moderator
Rulaifu:
Welcome back, found some free time? :)

A single aro is indeed sometime boring, but imho, if you want to groom a perfect aro, no fin, scales or pectorals damage, you need to isolate it and have a single aro tank. By single aro, I mean no tankmates, because any tankmates that are a bit aggressive can cause damages, Tigers per say...

A comm is really more a interactive, but requires more money and space. I don't really like the sardine look of an Aro comm tank, when the tank is too small. I mean, one of the reason why I like Aros is beacause of their swimming style, and in a packed tank, Aros swim like people in a subway at rush hour...