What would you rather have?

MananaP

That's gonna be pricey! What about if you are to choose only between 5 RTG's against 1 high end XBack(kinda like the one you have now) what will you pick?

NO brainer i would choose what i have now hehehehe :D

T1KARMANN

2yrs ago i would have said get a aro com over a single aro but now im not so sure :confused:

it is nice to have to have more than 1 aro BUT its also nice to have nice to have 1 big aro swimming around with grace

with more than 1 aro you will always have fights which can be stressfull not just on the fish but the owner to

arl

When I had my aros (Silver-1987 and RTG-1998) Comming aros was not even in existense, or atleast I am not even aware of it being possible or seen anybody do it. You were just happy and feeling lucky to have an aro! But now many are doing it and is kinda an "IN" thing. I guess we are evolving in aro keeping.

MananaP

2yrs ago i would have said get a aro com over a single aro but now im not so sure :confused:

it is nice to have to have more than 1 aro BUT its also nice to have nice to have 1 big aro swimming around with grace

with more than 1 aro you will always have fights which can be stressfull not just on the fish but the owner to

I agree with you brother,i mean i would rather have a single specimen that i can groom to the best of my ability than have a few nice aro's who has constant fins getting nipped and loosing sleep over it because you constantly think if things that you as an owner don't want to happen.

m_class2g

Sponsor
i would rather have both! well 3 tanks. 2 tanks, xback and red show pieces and an aro comm. ultimately, thats what i would like to own.

T1KARMANN

Its no problem to com xbacks with reds :D

the reds are more aggressive to the xbacks if anything but if you com just red you have more chance of it working

reds seam to get along better with their own kind than xback or RTG

com with aros for me is just to get a pair as my dream is to breed them

the most depressing thing for me has been the aros seam to ALL pick on one aro and beat the crap out of him/her were ever the aro goes it would get beat up :(

for me the reason this has been so depressing is it has always been the best aro that gets beat up the 1st one had a nice gold shine on its head i had to sell it

the one getting beat up now is near fully crossed :(

it is getting alot better than it was a few months back were i was thinking about giving up and going back to 1 aro

MananaP

Dimfer is his forum name i don't know if you guys have heard of him but he has a comm of red and xbacks,all his fishes are healthy and a true beauty.

arl

It seems that I will be getting myself into lots of trouble about 10 months or so from now. Right now I have 6 RTG com that is about 1 year and 8 months old from its tag date. It's been reasonably peacefull so far, but I will be adding 2 reds and 1 silver which will be about 2 years younger than the RTG's. I will be growing the newcomers first until they're about 10" then mix them with the probably 20+" RTg's. I am planning to cramm them in a small shallow tank for the first month of mixing and hope that no serious injuries or death happens. Does anybody have thoughts on this. How would you comm reds and golds with that much of size difference?

MananaP

It seems that I will be getting myself into lots of trouble about 10 months or so from now. Right now I have 6 RTG com that is about 1 year and 8 months old from its tag date. It's been reasonably peacefull so far, but I will be adding 2 reds and 1 silver which will be about 2 years younger than the RTG's. I will be growing the newcomers first until they're about 10" then mix them with the probably 20+" RTg's. I am planning to cramm them in a small shallow tank for the first month of mixing and hope that no serious injuries or death happens. Does anybody have thoughts on this. How would you comm reds and golds with that much of size difference?

Again i would talk to dimfer via pm,he is on PALHS bro. He had thesame situation as you but the other way around. He bought an SR for his first arowana and decided to build a community after a couple of years thus making his SR to be mature well you go talk to him.I think he grew his newly aquired SR's and Xb's in his 210g tank to grow them out.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
com with aros for me is just to get a pair as my dream is to breed them

I have the same game plan. Start out with a bunch and hopefully get a pair out of them.

I spoke with Mr.Kan about what he recommended for doing an aro com with breeding in mind. He said that as soon as you can sex them to take out a female and male and then condition them in separate 180-210 gallon tanks; then when they are in perfect condition, with the female ripe with eggs and the male doing lots of tail displays - to then put them together in a larger tank to (hopefully) get breeding to occur. The way he described it reminded me of the way one breeds siamese fighting fish or even pearl gourami. :)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Cirrus did he tell you how to sex them from male to female

To a certain degree, yes. The female has more girth or main body mass to her; this is when she is ripe with eggs. The male does lots of tail displays and gets super horny and aggressive whenever the tank owner walks by ( lol ). Also, he said that a slight PLJ often indicates male fish.

If you ever visit Singapore be sure to check out Max Koi Farm. He has lots and lots of old breeder females in display tanks. They are now past breeding age, but give you a great idea of what a female looks like. I feel I can now sex mature fish (minimum 4-5 years) that are ready to breed. Mind you, I haven't really tried to sex them yet so until that time who knows? :)