Premium Power Red

isjah

i hear a diet of super worms is highly additive for aro's and high in fat, causes PA if fed too much.

carcrazy

I have found that once my aros get used to super worms, they won't eat anything else. I am really trying to stay away from them for my red. He still eats a variety of foods like market shrimp, mysis shrimp, silversides, pellets and of course, the occasional super worm as a treat. My green used to eat market shrimp but now its only super worms (spoiled aro). I had an RTG that also got addicted to sw.

Some people just feed sw with good results by gut loading them, but I think I like the variety of foods better.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
My RTG eats everything from market shrimp to superworms to pellets, with pellets being his least favorite. He only goes off all foods after eating freeze dried krill. Just like crack for him, lol.

My little chili is on a 75% superworm/25% market shrimp diet and I'm seeing a little bit of PA so I'm cutting back on superworms. He was taking hikari aro pellets today so I'll be adding that to his diet as well.

Marowana420

My fish only eats feeder goldfish and SW. when he takes pellets he spits them back out. So now my SW and feeders eat aro pellets. Should i try another brand of pellets like hikari for my aro? seems alot of you guys feed hikari.
what should i put in my goldfish quarantine tank to kill parasites?
How many Fat 2 inch SW should a 14 inch Aro eat a day?

Marius

My fish only eats feeder goldfish and SW. when he takes pellets he spits them back out. So now my SW and feeders eat aro pellets. Should i try another brand of pellets like hikari for my aro? seems alot of you guys feed hikari.
what should i put in my goldfish quarantine tank to kill parasites?
How many Fat 2 inch SW should a 14 inch Aro eat a day?

I am not a fan of feeder goldfish. If you want it to eat pellets you need to starve the aro. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks or more to get it off live. I'd do the Hikari if I were you.

Marowana420

i really do want to get him off goldfish, but right now im scared for my skinny FF. dont care much about his other tankmates unless they make him choke.
So when i want to switch him to the hikari sticks i should not be feeding him anything else but sticks, correct?

im going to stop feeding goldfish as a regular diet immediately.

Last edited:

Marius

i really do want to get him off goldfish, but right now im scared for my skinny FF. dont care much about his other tankmates unless they make him choke.
So when i want to switch him to the hikari sticks i should not be feeding him anything else but sticks, correct?

im going to stop feeding goldfish as a regular diet immediately.

The tankmates usually get killed because they are outgrown by the aro and its hunting instict tell it anything that can be swallowed is fair game. I saw your other thread on the size of the tank. I'd get a bigger 180gal, and a shoal of tinfoils or silver dollars. One of each is not an effective dither fish, and 120 gal is a little "too little" of space to have anywhere to flee from a pissed off dragon.

Definitely pellets exclusively, if you want to have him eat only pellets.

Marowana420

so if the fish is too big to swallow it will be okay even if i have to starve him.
how many gallons do i need to keep just an aro,FFand a NST?
is 120 gallons enough to keep a red aro if he is by himself?

Marius

so if the fish is too big to swallow it will be okay even if i have to starve him.
how many gallons do i need to keep just an aro,FFand a NST?
is 120 gallons enough to keep a red aro if he is by himself?

Definitely not, minimum 180 gal for an adult arowana.

Marowana420

When i was in Hong Kong I've seen people living in a smaller space than that!!!

all joking aside, i'm going to start looking for a bigger tank. my aro is 14 inches now. how much longer can the fish stay in a 120?