1200 Gallon from BC :)

hondas3000

Seeing all the big tank making me itchy so I finally go on and build one while wife and kids visit family for a months. I might have to be on my knees when she is back but at least I got my tank :).

Picture419.jpg

Picture420.jpg

Picture421.jpg

Picture422.jpg

Picture424.jpg

Picture423.jpg

hondas3000

Right on David! Carry the torch high for everyone! :)

Thanks, this time it will be a show tank so everything need to be done right the first time. It is good that i manage to find cheap supplies so this tank build cost me the same as my 600g.

brianyam

very cool. Can I ask you something, is your wife Japanese? I have no idea why, but every japanese wife has to go back to japan (with the kids) every year for months. Nice build man.

skynoch

Looks like a great start. Love to watch these builds progress. Have you decided on waterproofing yet? Glass or Acrylic? Filtration? Come on give us some more details. lol

hondas3000

very cool. Can I ask you something, is your wife Japanese? I have no idea why, but every japanese wife has to go back to japan (with the kids) every year for months. Nice build man.

My wife is truly Vietnamese :). This is her first and will be her last to go with the kids without me.

Very nice. Massive set up. Can't wait to see it finished.
I can't wait to get it done too.

Looks like a great start. Love to watch these builds progress. Have you decided on waterproofing yet? Glass or Acrylic? Filtration? Come on give us some more details. lol

lol, learning from my last build and rely too much on Zavlar liquid rubber so this time I change my build completely. I build the tank from inside out, first I use waterproof wood glue on the plywood then 3" screw for every 4" apart and lastly 2x4 frame on it, this way all the joint will be dead on like solid piece. waterproof I use fiberglass cloth throughout the tank not just the corner, then use 5Gallon of waxed polyester resin and finally coat will be gel coat so I can get the color that I want and it will be sky blue. I will be using Asian style filter which have two 2" holes on the bottom of the tank and flow to the side of the tank where I build a 200G+ gallon sump for it and it will be side by side so it gets same water level then the internal pump will pump from the sump to a sand filter and back into the tank. This way I can do backwash on the sump and sand filter as well just like how people build their concrete pond. I will use LED light for it and maybe some more high tech along the way. Oh and the view is 1" acrylic and it will be a full view 3'x8' that I got it awhile ago for $300. So for this build it cost roughly $1.5 per gallon if I go with the high tech. I manage to find a wholesaler for fiberglass so it save me a lot as well.

hondas3000

Here is some update on the build. Finish with gelcoat and going to install the acrylic this weekend the I will work on the plumbing and sump while I wait for the silicone to cure and do a water leak test.
IMG_0111.jpg

This is how the opening look like, I use the glass panel from a sliding door for it.
IMG_0109.jpg

and here is 1500w 120v heater, there is more watts heater but after 1500W it require 240v and I don't want to mess up with electrical work. So why titanium heater when I can get this for much cheaper.
Picture433.jpg

tomuhs

Wow they are so tame! Talk about fish with personalities.

Kinda reminds me of the wall of mouths from the River of the Suns documentary :

Thanks for sharing!

hondas3000

Thanks guys.

Mike I can only keep that if I am in Asia as fish food is cheaper there and doesn't require heater. Then again I am bored of top view, can't really see the beauty in the fish.

So here is a little update with acrylic on. I also loosing a finger nail with this build as the acrylic is so damm heavy and all on my hand.
Picture434.jpg

hondas3000

can't wait to see water and fish in there! can see a lot of hard work put into that setup. good job.

hard work and bloody too. Its a pain to get the glue paper off the acrylic. Now the sump giving me hard time as well, next is the plumbing and then transfer the fish. I might need your help with the fish transfer Mike.

exoticaquaria

hard work and bloody too. Its a pain to get the glue paper off the acrylic. Now the sump giving me hard time as well, next is the plumbing and then transfer the fish. I might need your help with the fish transfer Mike.

call me anytime. i can assist. ill bring my fishing rod lol. jk. ill bring my strong aro bag to catch your monsters.

hondas3000

call me anytime. i can assist. ill bring my fishing rod lol. jk. ill bring my strong aro bag to catch your monsters.

Bring your wetsuit so you can dive in and cycle the water for me :). Fishing rod if you want to hook on the ray as I don't have big enough net for it.

tomuhs

Bring your wetsuit so you can dive in and cycle the water for me :). Fishing rod if you want to hook on the ray as I don't have big enough net for it.

LOL! New meaning to fishless cycle. Make sure to produce lots of waste while your in there.