The start of the 520 gallon

tman

Super Moderator
I am going to just take pics of each part of the tank as it gets finished. It is 96" x 42" x 30" with outside side overflow boxes. Here is the stand and within the next week the tank will be sitting on it and then following will be the sump and then the not so fun plumbing part of it! The best part of it is when I get to put the fish in it!:D
IMG_0003-3.jpg

Last edited:

sonny503

I'll be envious of the fish you will be putting in there, the stand is nice. you going to cover the stand with wood frame/trim?

tman

Super Moderator
I'll be envious of the fish you will be putting in there, the stand is nice. you going to cover the stand with wood frame/trim?
When everything is done I might just skirt it with some material. I probably won't do wood as it would make it harder to service the sump and keep an eye on things underneath.

tomuhs

Best of luck Trevor! Look forward to updates on the monster tank.

Another reason to come down to Drumheller haha.

tman

Super Moderator
Update.

I am just waiting for some plumbing parts from Jehmco and some stuff from pond supplies Canada and then I will be able to finish it. Dimensions 96" x 42" wide x 30" high. The sump is 72" x 26" wide x 22" high. Stand is 30" high.

Attachments

• IMG_0002 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_0002 (800x450).jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_0001 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_0001 (800x450).jpg
    205 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:

tman

Super Moderator
Looks good trev, I'm actually oppisite of you and love doing the plumbing on it.

Thanks. Maybe I should hire the job out to you! LOL I am pretty sure I will run out of pipe as there will be many mistakes!

tman

Super Moderator
Just finished dry plumbing it and will be gluing it tomorrow. It didn't go to bad but the test will be when I fill it and run the system.I need some more media for the sump,flex pipe to go into the socks and a new glass lid cut for my sump as I put my had through it while I was tightening the bulkheads in the sump.:(

Attachments

• IMG_0003 (450x800).jpg
    IMG_0003 (450x800).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_0006 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_0006 (800x450).jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_0007 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_0007 (800x450).jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0002 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_0002 (800x450).jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 644

skynoch

Nice job trev sorry to hear about the glass. Just curious to how your overflow works. From the one picture it looks like they will go to a common filter sock chamber. I see one has a valve and a bulkhead filter and the other looks like a male thread in the overflow. What was your plan for these. Are you using a drip system and a pump out with this one or do you still need to plumb in an overflow in the sump.

tman

Super Moderator
Looks very clean, very pro. :)
Thanks. My wife hates all the pipes, but it's easier for me to plumb and I can see what's going on all the time.

Nice job trev sorry to hear about the glass. Just curious to how your overflow works. From the one picture it looks like they will go to a common filter sock chamber. I see one has a valve and a bulkhead filter and the other looks like a male thread in the overflow. What was your plan for these. Are you using a drip system and a pump out with this one or do you still need to plumb in an overflow in the sump.
I just keep it simple, which means no "drips" for me as I already have a finished basement and it would be way too much work to incorporate a drip system. Sucks for holidays but I just won't overstock my tanks. LOL Each side has a overflow and just the pipe with the strainer goes to the big socks and I have 4" socks to pickup overflow when the socks are clogged. The other drain is going to have a pipe on it that goes up to the top of the overflow and will be used just for emergency overflow if the other pipe gets clogged. Maybe I will consider changing the tray to 4-7" socks and use both drains to go to the socks. I will have to see how good this sump works as I changed it to hold more media. This sump is 190 gallon so it should be good enough for filtration. I am also going to put a UV on the pump side of the sump. The 36 watt turbo twist works good on my 450 gallon.

tman

Super Moderator
Gluing this one was a pain in the butt and I am pretty sure I was high from all the fumes! I even spilled the can of glue on the carpet! OOPS! Go figure, I even had it on a cardboard sheet!

tman

Super Moderator
Well things aren't turning out so good. Some of the screw fittings are leaking and the pump is overkill. It's pushing water right over the center brace and if I throttle it back it makes the pump noisier. Back to the plumbing shop and I may have to downsize the pump but I am going to try the other impeller that came with it and turn it into a barracuda. Hopefully that will slow down the flow.

The sump seems to be working fine!

tman

Super Moderator
So, I got the leaks fixed and changed the impeller to the barracuda! I then had the problem of too much water siphoning back into the sump in case of a power failure. I changed the outlet pipes and it helped in breaking the siphon and now when the pump shuts off the siphon breaks before it overflows. I now have the problem of the water sitting to high in the tank. It's touching underneath the glass braces on the tank. I even opened the overflows more to see if it would lower the water but it's not working.

Anybody have any ideas why the water would be sitting high in the tank?

skynoch

Is your overflows plumbed in the same as the previous pic? Is the water high in the overflows also? Can you take a pic of your current overflow setup? What size is your drain pipes from your overflow?

tomuhs

Had a similar problem when I setup my tank...pump was too strong and water level was way too high and was touching the glass lid as well. Fixed the problem by lowering my overflow level by getting it cut and replacing to a smaller pump.

I'm assuming you have check valves on the return??