50 Gallon Sump??

rmisener

i have a 50 gallon tank that i would like to shut down and use as a filter for my 230 gallon tank. is this possible and do you know how i could do it???

aaronc

well to me i usually go for half the size of the main aquairum as the sump, so i can avoid any backflows caused by power outages, however the size really depends on how your filters are designed, larger biological or more foam sections etc. but generally the design and size is what you can fit under the stand, other equiptment that you plan to add and mainly how large is the fish load. HTH.

rmisener

back flow problems can be minimized by having the sump fill close to the top like a skimmer. and trying to maintain a half full sump so if there is a power outage you can let it drain down to fill the sump and not fill the basement.

Marowana420

something like this maybe?

Attachments

• 75gsump.jpg
    75gsump.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 658

rmisener

changed mind, my angels are going to be a snack for my RTG so i will move them into my 50 gallon instead of making a filter.

Marowana420

No... wrong design complete.... your sump is complete wet... you must make the sump dry then overflow into the chambers and then return back to main tank.
Dry then wet.

its not completely wet, just mostly. :D the reason is i wanted a refugium in the sump for plants and to grow out lil fishes. i know most people want to have a big tower for dry, but this has been working for me. i also put air stones under biomedia.

DaiDee

yeah that's it exactly how do i get to that point? are those glass or plexy partitions?

Plexy/acrylic partitions will fail over time when siliconed to glass.

If you go with a regular glass tank, you need to cut class or have someone do it for you.