A few pics from my aro tank.....

MananaP

So overhead flash is the trick eh... :D What lens are you using? Default or did you have to buy another? These are absolutely PRO shots!

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks. I use either a 60 mm f/2.8 macro on larger fish or a 105mm f/2.8 micro lens for smaller fish, mostly. I have a number of different lenses, but the 2 I listed are my favorites. I use a 28mm f/1.8 for tank shots.

Overhead flash is the secret, I kid you not. Nikon has commander mode, a feature that can trigger wireless speedflashes. I believe with Canon, you need to use an infrared transmitter that costs a few hundred bucks to fire remote flashes. With either system, you can wire your flash to your camera via a cord and still place it on top of the tank, but you're limited to the length of the cord you use.

Most of any money invested in anything other than entry level dslr will go predominantly into lenses. If you become serious about it, kit lenses won't cut it for you. It's a rather addicting hobby, lol.

Last edited:

MananaP

Thanks. I use either a 60 mm f/2.8 macro on larger fish or a 105mm f/2.8 micro lens for smaller fish, mostly. I have a number of different lenses, but the 2 I listed are my favorites. I use a 28mm f/1.8 for tank shots.

Overhead flash is the secret, I kid you not. Nikon has commander mode, a feature that can trigger wireless speedflashes. I believe with Canon, you need to use an infrared transmitter that costs a few hundred bucks to fire remote flashes. With either system, you can wire your flash to your camera via a cord and still place it on top of the tank, but you're limited to the length of the cord you use.

Most of any money invested in anything other than entry level dslr will go predominantly into lenses. If you become serious about it, kit lenses won't cut it for you. It's a rather addicting hobby, lol.

So are you using Nikon? What are you using then hehehehe. How about Sony dslr bro are they any good? I'm still planning on which one is best to get that would make me happy.:) Thanks Gerry!

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I use Nikon gear. I like sony dslr but I haven't done the research on their capabilites with respect to remote flashes. I'm sure it can be done the same way as with Canon. Another great line of cameras is Pentax. The K20 and the K30 are very nice bodies. :)

Marius

Well guys, he spent the money for two super reds to make his RTG look better in pictures than a super red. Eken, you've been had :D

Nicely done Gerry :)

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Well guys, he spent the money for two super reds to make his RTG look better in pictures than a super red. Eken, you've been had :D

Nicely done Gerry :)

Thanks, but your statement is not entirely accurate. The pictures I take are exactly what you would see if you were in front of my tank. They do not represent a fish that looks better than it actually is. :)

Marius

^oops, it was never my intention to say that. I was actually cheering for you for spending the money just to have the pleasure of Super Reds owners whining at you :D

Just kidding, seriously, I believe that's the way the fish looks like and there's only props to be given to you my friend :)

...now for my own amusement, post some more pics :p