Advice for substrate

mmcgrath

Anyone have any ideas of what i can use for a substrate in my new pond. Its 1100 gallons with a black liner so i wanted something lighter in colour for the bottom and not too pricy. I have used sand in the past, but i wasn't happy with it because with the rays always kicking it up my water stayed cloudy..maybee i was using to light of a sand? I would like to do gravel i think but dont know what one to buy, my tanks are bare bottom right now but that is not an option in the black pond because i wont be able to see some of the rays that are going in it.

slednex11

Pool filter sand is nice and heavy and once you rinse in it won't make your water cloudy at all plus it's very affordable and most pool supplies will carry 50lbs bags for less than $20. And if not. Premium play sand from Home Depot is very very cheap but does require alot more rinsing to wash out all the dust to prevent the water from getting cloudy. Both of these sands are a natural earth color which will help "Lighten up" the pond. Make sure to share pictures!!!

mmcgrath

Last time i picked sand i chose one without silica under advice that it could hurt the rays. Any thoughts on this?

slednex11

silica sand is perfectly fine to use as well it essentially just glass, i used white silica sand for 2 years before i got sick of the white color and went to the black Tahitian moon sand and now just running play sand in a 180 and a slate tile bottom in a 600gallon