Alligator Snapping Turtle For Sale

jin88

Hi everyone, I am sadly forced to sell my treasured alligator snapping turtle for sale. It is very special due to the natural moss growing on it's shell, this is very rare!!!. It is very healthy and active. I normally feed it defrosted frozen shrimps from the chinese supermarkets or live fish. My main concern is to find him a good home more than the money. Asking $400.00

tman

Super Moderator
So this is the one that comes from Southern USA? I didn't even knew that you can own one. Are those your pics on kijiji?

Last edited:

jin88

I am not familiar with the regulations for these turtles, but they are sometimes available in the local aquarium shops. I got him from a reptiles exhibition about five years ago. I am unaware of the pictures you are reffering to.

JMorash

These are legal to own within Canada, but there are provincial and municipal regulations that may prohibit ownership. These are not super rare by any means, many hundred are sold throughout the country every year, I have a few friends who regularly breed them. They get extremely large, and not appropriate for housing with fish (however a friend of mine had two that were close to 3' long living in a 15,000 gallon fish tank with a bunch of large cichlids, catfish, pacus, and a 16' anaconda). They are however desirable, and supply is only limited to what is bred here, or smuggled in as importing turtles to Canada is illegal.

If your turtle is a fair size then $400 is a very reasonable price. I think a turtle with a 10-12" shell should be worth $400-$500. Smallest individuals 4"-6" should be about $150-$200… And anything in between that should be about $250-$300. These are fair market values for this species.

Good luck with your sale,

Justin Morash
East Coast Vivaria

jin88

Hi my turtle is 12inches shell length. I was referring to the natural moss growing from it's shell when i described him as being 'special'. The moss only grows from the wild turtles never from captive breeding, so it has a desirability.