Anything that replaces NAN lights?

protoxeno

I see all the singapore guys always use NAN lights to make their red looks more dashingly red. Those NAN lights are mainly a deep pink colour, my pink lights T5 aren't as nearly as pink as NAN lightings. Are there any lights out there that got a deep pink colour?

frozen-fire

There's a company called MinJiang or something like that... they make flourescent tubes that are very red and they make tanks with certain fish look amazing.

xbackgolden

I see all the singapore guys always use NAN lights to make their red looks more dashingly red. Those NAN lights are mainly a deep pink colour, my pink lights T5 aren't as nearly as pink as NAN lightings. Are there any lights out there that got a deep pink colour?

Nope currently Nan is the only one who makes the right tanning lights for reds. Its is not just the color of the light which enhances the fish. The bulb used in the nan casing is of a certain volatage and frequency(Not an expert on the mechanics of lighting). Hence, if you want to use an alternative, do make sure you check before you buy.

ninjaturtle

theres commerical fluorescent lights that are pink and makes ur fish looks real nice, altho i still dono where to get it. if u goto the Big als at kennedy, they use those lights and theres a company in the GTA that supplies it to them, but i think they only do wholesale. so you n i cant just walk in n pick up a set.

ninjaturtle

Nope currently Nan is the only one who makes the right tanning lights for reds. Its is not just the color of the light which enhances the fish. The bulb used in the nan casing is of a certain volatage and frequency(Not an expert on the mechanics of lighting). Hence, if you want to use an alternative, do make sure you check before you buy.

u can tan a red with a regular 10,000k+ bulb, ull just somehow have to tie ur light fixture sideways on ur tank. itll look like crap but it should work. i use to have guppies in tanks with repti-glo 5.0 and the color does get darker n deeper and its noticable. btw, tanning should be dependant on the Kelvin in the bulb, not the voltage. hope that helps

ninjaturtle

like metal hallide? yea that stuff is pretty strong. should work. depending on how powerful it is, it might take longer to tan your fish. but if reds quality are good supposedly you dont need tanning.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I think we all need to learn more about these NAN lights...

In the past I bought two dozen high output bulbs from a wholesaler in Vancouver. This might be another area in which hobbyists could get together to help each other out?

I think we need to get a stickie on NAN lights...any volunteers? It would mean doing some research on the other big Aro forums in Asia I think...

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
LOL, Neoprodigy, the admin of MFK is a member of this forum! I'll see if he'd mind us posting that sticky with a link to MFK... :)

protoxeno

Someone needs to make a sticky regarding lighting in general how theres so many different types of bulbs like T8, T12, T5 etc etc and how we determine the light strips we buy fit into those bulbs and the advantage in each sets of bulbs. I see some LFS have yellow type of lighting but not sure what type of bulbs are they but they sure make your gold aro a lot more goldish.

EKen

Super Moderator
That is a good suggestion. I know a guy who used Reptiles lightning and his XB looks really gold.

frozen-fire

reptile lights emit UVB. simulates natural daylight... which i'm assuming should be very good for your fish. BUT... glass tops will inhibit penetration of the uvb rays by a high percentage.

ninjaturtle

reptile lights emit UVB. simulates natural daylight... which i'm assuming should be very good for your fish. BUT... glass tops will inhibit penetration of the uvb rays by a high percentage.

pretty much all of it if not all of it. i always had to use uvb bulbs with a top. works great n if you want some algae walls i find it better than an aqua-glo lol

ninjaturtle

What about acrylic? Would that prevent the UVB from blasting through?

i think glass, plastic, acrylic will all screen out the UVB. if you use it for reptiles and the holes on the screen top is too fine itll take away the UVB as well. try using light diffusers. but it might not matter for arowanas as its for a totally different purpose in turtles and fish.