Aro Breeding Season?

flagtail

Wondering if anyone can answer when is aro breeding season. Not when they harvest the eggs, well ok when they harvest the eggs also, but also when do the aros actually mate?

I had a weird thing happen couple days ago....and can't figure it out.

Within 2 hours span I had the tank go from crystal clear, to totally cloudy that I could barely see the fish...LOL...it smelled very musky and surface of water thick with bubbles. The bubbles must of been from the filters agitating the surface.

This is the tank I'm referring to:

But it looks like this now:

So it something did happen, there would be lots of competition for the eggs..LOL

I would figure male would of at least scooped couple.....or maybe he jsut released his stuff, and she did dry run?:confused:

Really not sure what it could of been.......tank been setup long while, 2 FX5's on it....

arl

Funny you have the same thing going on as my aros. 2 were swimming side by side for almost a month and the male makes a croacking sound. They're less than 2 years old only so I assume they're just practising. They've stopped for almost a week now. I didn't noticed any eggs released though. I don't think there is a specific season for aro to breed. They breed all year round. I think Rainy season is when it mostly happens since that's the time when most farm changes water/clean their pond since water will be abundant then and clean water kinda triggers breeding.

arl

Another funny thing in my setup, the alpha aro who occupies 3/4 of the tank and chasses anybody who crosses that line is actually the FEMALE :eek:. You would think alpha aro is always a male hey?:confused:

arl

Wondering if anyone can answer when is aro breeding season. Not when they harvest the eggs, well ok when they harvest the eggs also, but also when do the aros actually mate?

I had a weird thing happen couple days ago....and can't figure it out.

Within 2 hours span I had the tank go from crystal clear, to totally cloudy that I could barely see the fish...LOL...it smelled very musky and surface of water thick with bubbles. The bubbles must of been from the filters agitating the surface.

This is the tank I'm referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UauhCharY-Q

But it looks like this now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbtoY_MRd2I

So it something did happen, there would be lots of competition for the eggs..LOL

I would figure male would of at least scooped couple.....or maybe he jsut released his stuff, and she did dry run?:confused:

Really not sure what it could of been.......tank been setup long while, 2 FX5's on it....

How old are your aros? was this their first time acting that way? They will usually swim together for a while maybe a few weeks or a month and the female's stomach will bloat a bit as the eggs grow, then she'll release it. Success will usually depend on the male on how good he can fertilize, collect and keep the eggs. They say it takes practice for the male.

shadwone

Another funny thing in my setup, the alpha aro who occupies 3/4 of the tank and chasses anybody who crosses that line is actually the FEMALE :eek:. You would think alpha aro is always a male hey?:confused:

how can you tell the male from the female