Aro not eating

Adz1

So my new dreamfish aro has stopped eating.
He did not eat yesterday and again nothing today.
He ate fine for the firts few days and just stopped yesterday.
should i be worried...
any ideas on what may have caused this?
any help or insight would be appreciated.

thanks
adrian.

RDFISHGUY

Check your water parameters, arowanas will stop eating if water quality drops. Too much traffic around the tank will also cause the aro to stop eating. If aro is jumpy and darts around the tank it could be uncomfortable. Is there a background on the tank? Tankmates? If he ate a lot over the last few days it could be over fed. If arowana is young you don't want it to go too long without eating but large arowanas can last for months without eating.

tomuhs

Agreed, would you be able to post your current parameters? I'm assuming Ph drop or high nitrates. Have you noticed any change in behavior: ie : does the aro dart about?? Any chipped scales etc?

What have you been feeding the aro? May sound gross but have you seen the aro poo?

When in doubt tho, I'd stick with small water changes, increase the heat, increase aeration and add a bit of salt.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Adz1

Parameters are all good.
He does dart about when you first approach the tank.
My girls were playing with their dolls all around the tank just before it stopped eating.

Adz1

so he is eating again still seems a little skittish though.
almost like he is scared of his own shadow...

Aro51

I'd say its probably just getting used to the environment. As long as you keep up the good water parameters, everything should be alright. Arowanas can go a long time without eating.

Another thing you can do to reduce a little stress is lower the water level a couple inches if that's an option for the tank.

bcarlos

Adrian, you have nothing to worry about. Aros can be very tempermental; I've had fish go months without eating before. Leave him for a few days, then try tempting him with something enticing, like super worms, for example.