Arowana only swim when nobody around.

yamany

I bought an arowana home for almost a month now and he's only swim at night and when no one is around. other time he just lay down at the bottom. he's 16" and in a 120G tank . Water and teputure are fine . Does anyone have the same problem or any idea?

EEYY

I bought an arowana home for almost a month now and he's only swim at night and when no one is around. other time he just lay down at the bottom. he's 16" and in a 120G tank . Water and teputure are fine . Does anyone have the same problem or any idea?

Did this aro coming from a tank bigger than 120G? It sounds like the aro is just not used to the new environment.

Try to create a bit water flow (close to the bottom or the top) and see how the aro is going to swim.

As long as he doesn't stop eating, that should be okay.

Eddio

Hi Yamany,

What's the temperature at?
What do you have in the tank?
What are you trying to feed him? (Not eating for a week happens at times)

yamany

Hi Yamany,

What's the temperature at?
What do you have in the tank?
What are you trying to feed him? (Not eating for a week happens at times)

temperature at 30 and he's by himself . trying to feed him kingworm but he only eat one in a while

Eddio

temperature at 30 and he's by himself . trying to feed him kingworm but he only eat one in a while

86 F is a little high in my opinion. I noticed that my Aro's do the same thing during the days that it gets hot. I tend to keep it at 80-82.

High temperature also means lower dissolved oxygen, so try adding an air pump or something to further agitate the water.

yamany

Thanks for all the info guys. The fish just got scared because it used to to live with other fishes but when I brough him home and set him in a tank by himself. They are depend on each other and so I just trying to to add more fish to the tank and here you go he swimming and show no sign of scare and stress.

I really apriciate all the help above. Thanks

homebrewed

Super Moderator
2 of my old greens used to act the same way

For one I added a bit more current it forced him to swim more and seemed to stimulate his appetite

The other I added some red hook silver dollars. He would start to chase them and beat them to the food and made him alot more personable.

Arodynamic

Asian Aros are strange creatures- they may sulk at the bottom of the tank if they are not happy- Healthy aros never do that. having kept them for many years, I have encountered such behaviour and I have found that by adding tankmates the problem is immediately resolved. If the aro has recently been moved keep an eye on the water.