Arowana starvation(pellet training)

Eatman

heya folks, what's the longest anyone here have starved their arowana for the purpose of pellet training? I'm currently at 2 weeks and I'm getting a little bit worried he might starve himself to death.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
There is a guy, RDfishguy in Alberta who starved an 18 inch RTG for three-four weeks I think before he got his fish to take NLS. I don't know if his fish continues to eat pellets or exactly what his feeding regime is now. You can try pm'ing him here or contact him on albertaaquatica.ca to find out more details?

My personal experience has been pretty poor when it comes to starving individual fish to take pellets. I am hoping that in a community type setting (with all the competition between fish to get food) that I will have better luck.

T1KARMANN

If the aro is above 14inch it can go 2 months without food easy

i have never seen what all the fuss is about with feeding aros pellets

i just feed what they like super worms all the way never had any problems with that as their sole food just feed the super worms the pellets

Yuppa

Super Moderator
My old rtg, would only eat about half the year.. he would pig out for a month, then not eat anything for 2-3 months.. over and over..

starving my red for pellets, it eats them after 1-2 days of no food now.

EEYY

There is a guy, RDfishguy in Alberta who starved an 18 inch RTG for three-four weeks I think before he got his fish to take NLS. I don't know if his fish continues to eat pellets or exactly what his feeding regime is now. You can try pm'ing him here or contact him on albertaaquatica.ca to find out more details?

My personal experience has been pretty poor when it comes to starving individual fish to take pellets. I am hoping that in a community type setting (with all the competition between fish to get food) that I will have better luck.

To make it more workable, I would suggest to have other tankmates with the targeted arowana. That way, the arowana can gradually get used to the smell and realize that it is needed to fight for food.

It would somehow speed up the process.

I can get my arowana trying choped centipedes!!!

Eatman

my aro is currently 6 inches, i've starved it for 2 weeks when i got it back in september, but no luck there also...
Right now i'm also worried that because of starvation he's not getting the neccessary nutrients for good growth.. So my question is now, should i just give up and feed him live food..? live food which will consist of meal worms, crickets and superworms.

EEYY

my aro is currently 6 inches, i've starved it for 2 weeks when i got it back in september, but no luck there also...
Right now i'm also worried that because of starvation he's not getting the neccessary nutrients for good growth.. So my question is now, should i just give up and feed him live food..? live food which will consist of meal worms, crickets and superworms.

Once you start to feed live food, it would be even tougher to change its diet.

Is your arowana taking chopped prawn (shrimp)? If so, stuck a bit arowana pellet in it and see how it goes.

Eatman

Once you start to feed live food, it would be even tougher to change its diet.

Is your arowana taking chopped prawn (shrimp)? If so, stuck a bit arowana pellet in it and see how it goes.

nope, he never liked market prawn, krill, bloodworms, and pellets..

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I think this is one of the last Panda fish to come in September? If so, I can tell you 100% that Panda Aquatics feeds their fish on market prawn.

I know the superworm route can work out fine...some people find the smell hard to take, and dealing with the worms kind of gross. However, you can buy them pretty cheap if you order a box of 1000 at a time; then, as T1karmin mentioned, you can gut load the SW on pellets. I have seen that done at one aro farm that fed its SW Hikari Koi food. Someone else I know had a trick of feeding their SW on carrots and then freezing the worms; as they froze, the worms pooped out whatever was in their guts, thereby leaving (presumably) a cleaner worm for the fish. I tried this freezing technique on SW for my aro and found it worked pretty well. Each day I'd just
thaw out some worms each day and feed the fish. Way less mess, no smell this way.

Still, with my upcoming aros, I plan on trying to get them to take pellets this time.

Good luck with your feeding battle of the wills. :)

Last edited:

Cricket

I've starved my aro for about 4-5weeks, after week 4ish he finally accepted pellets, but only did once, and didn't again. So now i just feed him the usual -market prawns.

Eatman

Did the seller feeding live food beforehand?

as theo said, this xback was from the sept shipment, so what he said =)

but i went out to t&t and bought some seafood medley, gonna give this a run and hope to get some results...correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it was Kenta that fed his aro's these frozen goods?

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I use the frozen seafood medley as well.. its hit and miss what pieces they will eat.. (my rtg would eat the squid rings but not the muscles for example)

T1KARMANN

6inch is to small to stave a aro

10inch is the smallest to starve any aro

feeding is very important for young aros they need food twice per day

homebrewed

Super Moderator
To make it more workable, I would suggest to have other tankmates with the targeted arowana. That way, the arowana can gradually get used to the smell and realize that it is needed to fight for food.

I tried this with my Green arowana last year and it worked very well. He became stuborn when it came to eating so I put in a shoal of red hooks and their feeding response triggered the aro to hit anything at the top of the water to make sure no one else would get any. Tricked him into eating healthier

T1KARMANN

hes around 20-21".

at that size the aro can go 2 months easy without food

offer pellets every day for 1 month if he doesnt eat them feed him what he wants then offer just pellets for another month as long as hes eatting once per month he will be fine

just out of intrest if you have grown the aro to 20inch on other foods why the need to feed pellets now

Cricket

got him around that size, the previous owner had him on all sorts of things mostly goldfish feeders. I switched him over to market prawns, but also want to feed him pellets.