Australian Lungfish

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
We have negotiated terms to import some Australian Lungfish. They are CITES class 1 fish, so we'll be looking at the same kind of paperwork as with Asian arowana. We need to order a minimum of 5 fish. The price will be $650 per fish, including all taxes. This is a very good deal I believe. I remeber some years ago hearing of some for sale for around $1000 each.

For those of you who do not know about Australian Lungfish, they are a primitive "fossil fish"; unlike their South American or African relatives, the Australian lungfish are not overly agressive. They are slow moving and eat meaty foods (market prawn works well so I have heard). They do grow LARGE over time; I have seen some in aquariums approaching 3-4 feet!

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=4512

Young ones have quite a bit of personality and bop about the tank; older ones tend to become very staid and just kind of hang out quietly. Again, those are my observations from the ones I have seen in public aquariums.

The Australian farm we are dealing with has sold the fish to Canada before, but not for a "long time."

This opportunity is unlikely to reappear any time soon.

If we can arrange an import, I plan on trying to keep one with some Asian arowana.

So - anyone looking for a very interesting/unusual fish?

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Hmm...this could be interesting. There could be you out east, a fellow in Alberta and a fellow in BC. And then me. We are getting very very close because 5 is the minimum order... :)

This is a very rare opportunity people... :)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger

Attachments

• denmark%2028.jpg
    denmark%2028.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:

JMorash

I love that they live like 100 years too and grow super slow. Sometimes I like a fish that grows fast (lates, rays, cat fish), but something like this will be more special because of the patience and time it takes to grow them up. But that's why I have taken a real liking to bichirs, gars, dats and arowana is because the little extra time and effort it takes to grow them up nice.

Can't wait till the little bugger comes in!

Thanks,

Justin Morash

EEYY

Hi Justin, I need to get a single lungfish for someone in Toronto as well.

Understanding the shipping cost for one or more than one is the same at about $80 per box. Are you interested to share the shipping cost with me? ie saving of $40 other than your gas cost.

If you are interested, we need to meet at the airport terminal to split the shipment. We can definitely talk about it in PM when you are FIRM about your lungfish. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Now, really, what other fish out there offers THIS: :)

The sound of the lungfish exhaling air at the surface prior to inhaling a fresh breath has been likened to that made by a small bellows.

JMorash

Hey EEYY,

I'm in Nova Scotia, so unless you are within the Maritimes it's not really worth it. But if you are, then sounds good!

JM

EEYY

Hey EEYY,

I'm in Nova Scotia, so unless you are within the Maritimes it's not really worth it. But if you are, then sounds good!

JM

Oops .... My mistake.

It really takes time and involves paper work to get one. Anyone in Toronto area who is looking for this for a while, I would suggest you to think about it.

JMorash

That gar/lungfish combo is sick!

I wanna do a gar/bichir combo tank, maybe throw in the aussie lung, a couple dats and maybe some tiger scats.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I phoned up Gordon in Australia yesterday and spoke with his wife.

She told me the leucostic (white ones) Australian lungfish sell for $20,000 each. And all their stock is sold, so there are none available!

I just wired the money to them today. Thus, the order is now being processed. Fish will be going right across Canada, so this is truly a national order.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I just heard from Gordon, the Australian lungfish farmer; the CITES paperwork is being processed on his end. I'd guess the fish should be ready to ship within the month? :)