Back-up Power System .....

skynoch

Costco has natural gas generators with automatic switchgear for great prices. These are for larger systems all the way up to a whole house.

tman

Super Moderator
Thanks for the linkage.

Are you currently using it?

Looking into it as we have an electrical contractor that can install one that would back up power for most things in the house for a price around $4000.

Don't get many power outages here but I use a 400watt back up power pack for my 450 gallon and that just runs the power heads for a long period of time. Longest power outage here was around 6hrs. Not bad compared to some places but still enough to cause problems for the fish if you had no back up power at all! Getting another big tank built in May so I am really seriously considering this so if I do I will let everyone know how things worked out.

Last edited:

skynoch

Hey Trevor what size generator are you looking at for $4000 installed. Is that the transfer switch and generator? Natural gas, gas, propane or diesel? The smallest costco one I was looking at was 10kw with a 100 automatic transfer switch for $3500 and then you would have to install it after.

tman

Super Moderator
Hey Trevor what size generator are you looking at for $4000 installed. Is that the transfer switch and generator? Natural gas, gas, propane or diesel? The smallest costco one I was looking at was 10kw with a 100 automatic transfer switch for $3500 and then you would have to install it after.

Just got a little bit of info from a guy at work so I am going to call them tomorrow and find out all the info.