Bacteria House & Quantities ????

jason2028

I have found very little information on what quantities of BH to use in a sump system but have the following information to share with all of you and welcome all comments and added information.

"The amount of Bacteria house needed depends on stocking rates and feeding and many other things but, For example a 10 ton pond, using the BH in a shower system would need about 50-100 kgs. In a 10 ton pond using the BH in a submersed kind of chamber filter, then about 100 kgs or more". (Momotaro Koi Farm)

The conversion for 1 Ton is 31.7 Gallons of water.

The conversion for 10 Tons is 317.5 Gallons of water.

My common sense tells me that there must be an equation problem here as 1 Ton of water seems to be way more than 31.7 Gallons of water but such is the metric system used in Japan.

I have also been told by another Koi Farm that "one 10kg box of BH is sufficient to properly filter a 100 gallon tank in a submerged sump system. This would mean that 1kg of BH is approximately equal to 10 Gallons of water in your tank system". (A1Koi in Europe) No i did not factor the added water in the sump ??? lol

If you have any information to dispute this, pls share with us..........

I thank you in advance for your comments !!!

Last edited:

jason2028

I used a conversion chart off the internet. I knew it was way off !!!
240 gallons even seems too small in comparrison to a ton.........
Thanks for your clarification.

DaiDee

I would think stocking is a large factor on the amount of bacteria house needed.

From their calculations, I think approx. 10-15kgs is good for a 200gal tank. As long as you are running a high water turn over rate as they do suggest atleast 150%.

I still think you need a seperate mechanical filter to polish the water though. Something a FX5 can easily take care of.