Banjar Red Arowanas?

So I recently bought a Banjar Red Arowana, but what I'm stumped about is the species it's self. I knew about SRs, CRs and just regular reds but I never really heard about Banjars before. First time hearing about them was 6 months ago when I wanted to buy my first Asian aro. From what I read these guys don't turn red, but instead light pink/salmon with orange red fins (if they are high grade banjars). I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the origins of species, ie: how they came to the hobby? how they came to exist? the avalibility of them (are they rare?) lighting requirements? why some adult Banjar's fins become yellow? can using red/violet spectrum bulbs help retain and boost the red/pink colour pigment? And finally, are these guys more aggressive or territorial compared to other Asian aros? I do apologize if I'm asking a lot, but I'm highly interested in Banjars as I have not heard much about them and since this is my first Asian aro. Thanks in advance for anyone who answers. I feed my 4" juvie Banjar a verity of Hikari food sticks and pellets and well as food high in carrotenes in hopes of retaining and boosting my Banjar's red-ish pink colouration.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Banjar reds are sometimes sold as "Number 2 Reds", or even as "Indoreds". It is kind of unfair to refer to it as a red since when adult it will not show any real red colour, except maybe for its tail. If it did show a lot of red, then it would be classified as a super red/blood red/chilli red; as far as I know, Banjars grow up to show a dull greyish body colour and base colour to their scales. The tail can remain red, but that is about it. They can cause real problems for novice keepers of aros who can be tricked into buying the juveniles thinking they are super reds; it is hard to tell juvenile banjars of 4-5 inches from super reds of the same size.

I think there were once yellow tail banjars around, but not sure if they are still available (or they could be a distinct category from the banjar).

Some farms will include banjars in their breeding ponds with super reds in order to increase brood size; this comes at expense of colouration in a portion of the baby fish (which will grow up to show colour of the banjar, instead of the super reds). This is what I was told anyway, while visiting farms in Indonesia.

Banjars are a great starter aro for someone to get, along with various varieties of greens.

I have never heard of anyone tanning them. NAN lights should make the fish look a bit more red in your tank.

In all respects the raising of a banjar should be identical to the raising of any other kind of Asian aro. And that is all I know.

Now you need Earl (King-eL) to add to this thread... :)

Last edited:

kimrocks

What is the difference between an RTG and Banjar Red?

Are they actually the same type of Asian Arowana?

My understanding is the RTG are more expensive then Banjars right?

Or are they in the same class?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Banjars and RTG's (red tail golds) are very different. A classic RTG has gold scale couration (gold base) up to the fourth row on both its sides; a HBRTG (high back red tail gold) has gold colouration up to the fifth and sometimes even sixth rows of scales. An HBXB is bred with a mix of HBRTG and cross back (XB) parents.

Yes, RTG's cost more than banjars.

As far as I know, RTG's, banjars, super reds, and greens were all found in Java and parts of Borneo; the Malaysian cross back was native to the Malay peninsula.

Once upon a time there were likely all sorts of regional morphs and variations; to this day there are those who argue on behalf of a separate set of Latin scientific names for each variant, as opposed to just calling them all Scleropages formosus. As far as I know, beyond a few scientific papers calling for the different names, CITES has no plans to change the Latin scientific names. Besides, much of the natural habitat where the various fish once came from is now gone, and the various farms (professional and backyard varieties) are busy interbreeding them all...

From what I seen, juvie super reds tend to have more of a intense red in their fins and have red lips and barbels as well. Thanks for the info, I appreciated.

My banjar's tail is turning red and its body is starting to have a faint pink tint to it and has developed a blue base. Is that normal for a banjar? Most adult adult banjars I've seen have a silver body with a green base and yellow orange fins. His eyes are also turning light red. Did I pay for a mis identified Asian aro?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Sounds like you got yourself a nice looking fish, whatever it is. Can you post up some photos?

King-eL

Banjar jar red is a cross between a Super red (Scleropages legendrei) and Yellowtail (Scleropages macrocephalus) or Super red (Scleropages legendrei) and Green (Scleropages formosus). It was first develop with Super red x yellowtail. Now
Another strain of banjar appear of cross of green x RTG (Scleropages aureus).

Many people especially in Asia will consider Banjar red as part of green variety or just a high grade yellowtail. When infact a yellowtail is a pure breed species that can be found in Borneo. While banjar red is a man made hybrid to fool newby red asian arowana buyer. To tell the difference between pure super red and banjar red when young is to look at the greenish colored horse shoe shape on the scales. Pure super red will have a full shape "C" and will fade as it ages. Banajar red will have a broken shape "C" and will remain as it age, similar to the markings of the green arowana. The lips can also be tell apart but will be harder when the fish are smaller than 6". As some banjar red will have red lips. Although it normally stays on the barbel area.

Telling banjar red and yellowtail apart. Banjar red wi have orange fins and yellowtail will have yellow fins. Although many people considered them to be as the same type when they are not. One is pure breed one is crossbred. I will soon post photos of my yellowtail and banjar red when they get a big bigger.

Alright guys, got some pics. Not the best quality photos but best I can do with my cell phone lol. As you can see the aro has a gold and blue base, the fins are very red too. It's eyes are red aswell, the pictures have flash so the fins look light but the colour of fins are actually the colour of the reddest part. Is it possible that I may have bought a different type of aro? It was labled a Banjar when I purchased it.

IMAG0233-1.jpg

IMAG0234-1.jpg

Alright guys, been 2 months since I had my Banjar red and here are some updates. Let me know if I deserve the title of having the redest Banjar red lol. He's 6.5" now, I swear to God and on the lives of ancestors, that I'm not using any special light fixtures. My Banjar is fed mainly a stable diet of Hikari floating carnivore pellets, New Life Spectrum pellets and once every two weeks my very own made all natural arowana frozen food. If you think my DIY food is giving good results I wouldn't mind sharing my secret formula with you. Enjoy and tell me what you think, do I deserve a reward for redest juvenile Banjar red lol.

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

Link to a video of my Banjar red
http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg508/A-xander_505/?action=view&current=VIDEO0045.mp4

Last edited: