Banjar Reds

Arrow

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some info on Banjar/1.5/ grade 2 red arowanas.

Are the names I used correct common names?

I assume they are a hybrid or cross, of what exactly?
Are they still considered asains?

What are some quality traits to look for when selecting a good Banjar?

Sorry about all of the questions, just curious and might be able to get one at a decent price so...

Thanks in advance for any help

peacockbass

i think they are cross between red and rtg....you may get lucky and find one that could show any signs of potential..but more turn out pinkish and not very attractive IMO...like with any reds...look for orange lips and gills....but don't hold your breath....getting a quality RTG will turn out to be a better buy...

hustler

Havent heard that name in a long while :)
Even back in the day to be honest you could pick up a low quality RTG for a touch more than a green, yellowtail or banjar. Most guys dont even bring them in anymore as the cost of shipping and paperwork is the same on those as it is a crossback and the resale value is almost at cost....
I have seen some amazing greens however to each thier own.
from the few banjars i have seen mature, body shape is a big thing to look for I believe they are mixed with a red and a green??? and most will have the bullet head but a high back is always a good start as well as large even fins and fan tail. Usually they have smaller barbells too so look for longer and thicker ones.
Good luck on your search :) hope to see pics soon eh

Arrow

Thanks for the quick replies guys and yeah that is where I found them also.
There was a really nice one there but already marked sold so I picked out the next best one.

Their really only 3inches no 4 and I looked for as much red and cross color pattern as possible.

I know the guy personally and can get a better price than listed so I think I might go for it.

Truely I would rather a red but thats way out of my price range

snow

I own one and IMO he is great and very nice looking. I think it depends on your lighting in your tank. At the LFS they don't look so great because there they just use white lighting or no lights at all, they look terrible that way. I have mine under a white light but also a blue, light blue and a purple light. The pruple is the best as it truly bings out the under estimated colour potential of this fish. I would go and get one but then get a purple like so you can truly see your fish to it's full potential. I bought mine from aro village with cert, two weeks from now will be 1 year since I've had him. They are a nice looking and under-estimated fish IMO and if your are just starting out with asian arowana's then the price is good enough that you can get the feel of keeping arowana's until you move up to the more high cost ones.:)

Arrow

Thanks snow thats kinda how I'm looking at it, this one would also come with cert, I think its from SING arow farm, never heard of it but maybe not bad quality.
But as was said I def would not hold my breath.

There was one really red looking one there but already spoken for unfortunately.
I'm just hoping for the red or even yellow tail(not pink) and a dark back like an rtg.

As for lighting I already have an actinic and colormax bulb which kinda brings out reds.
I would just have to change my t8 bulbs to possibly purple or more colormax bulbs.

impalass

As a former owner, raised one to 20+" sounds pretty accurate to me.
Perhaps someone more knowlegable can chime in. This is Arowanaclub after all.

AroNoob

Thanks snow thats kinda how I'm looking at it, this one would also come with cert, I think its from SING arow farm, never heard of it but maybe not bad quality.
But as was said I def would not hold my breath.

Bret brings in GBXBs, BBXBs and SRs from Sing so I am assuming he did his homework and they are a very reputable farm. His pics of the aros he's received from Sing show great potential at a small size. Not very familiar with Banjars but it should be of good quality coming from Sing.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I always thought banjars and yellow-tails are two different fish?

My understanding is that a banjar red is also called a number two grade red, or a lower grade red. As a young fish it looks extremely similar (if not the same), as a true super red.

A yellow tail is basically a green aro that grows up to have a yellow tail.

I have not heard people use the term banjar and yellow tail interchangeably before.

Be sure you know exactly what you are getting.

Here is an old link that does a good job describing aros and how to choose them: http://arowanaclub.com/stories.php?story=03/01/06/1928306

My advice would be to spend an extra $100-200 and get a nice quality RTG, but if you have already selected one you like, best of luck with it, and please post photos.

Last edited:

Arrow

Thanks for the info and links but the link I posted previously mentions that a banjar is a green with a yellow tail and not at all red.

I picked up the lil guy yesterday, only 3.5in and the cert says "Banjar Red" and the farm is Sing Arowanas.

It has long fins with red yellow coloration with what looks to be a green base with purple hues.
Long barbells and bulletshaped head like a green would.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see exactly wht he turns out like

Last edited:

Arrow

Here are a couple pics of the lil guy when I first got it. Not the greatest pics and he looks much better now. Eating food sticks 2 times a day and settled in nicely.
His tail is now 90% healed, not sure what happened to it since I bought it that way.

Do you guys know if the regrown parts of the tail will color back up? Right no it looks clear but I'm really hoping that the color fills in?

Attachments

• Banjar1.jpg
    Banjar1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 513
  • Banjar2.jpg
    Banjar2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 519

impalass

Agree, colour will come back 100%

Have you tried feeding any talapia or raw shrimp ? (once or twice a week maximum, so as not to turn him off pellets/sticks)

Looks good, in your 220g should be easy to get some size him.

hustler

Small like that everything will grow back 99% perfect bro Wont even see it in a month. He looks good too I cant wait to see how he develops.
Are you going with prawn/superworm/pellet?
Easy to get the colors in him if you stuff the prawns with pellets and feed superworms tons of carrots before feeding :)
Also keep the tank back and bottom darker and you will see by 8-10" he will have a good deep base to him.

Arrow

Glad to hear that he should heal up well.

Right now he's strictly on hikari sticks, tried buying some small dried mysis but he's not interested. Gonna start trying some raw shrimp soon though, he's a lil picky and only this week he's been going for the pellets aggressively. In the new year I'll get him on some shrimp even if it meas starving him a bit.

Also I'm very hesitant abot feeding super worms because I've heard stories of them getting hooked and refusing anything else. I think I will wait till he's at least 6 in to give those and crickets a try

Thanks for the words guys

peacockbass

if you want to try sw and crix...don't feed them live to him..i used to freeze them..then feed them to my PG...never gave them live...it was easier to keep them in the freezer than try to keep them alive all the time...

Arrow

Yeah thats how I normally store crickets but I had a container for the worms and fed them carrots.