Best Foods for Growing Aros?

mareshow

Banned
I currently have a Black Arowana on Hikari Food Sticks but i was wondering what would be the best food to train him on besides these?

CORVETTE

Mine eats shrimp, smelts, freeze dried krill, mealworms, and anything else i feed to my other fish.

aro7

i bought a few frogs recently...excited to feed my aro

i heard of crickets being pretty nutritious for aro's but be warned...its like crack for them, hard to get them off it once they eat it. mine starved for a few weeks after i stopped feeding it crickets.

Marowana420

i think its great that yours eats food sticks, mine wont.

my aro's crack is earthworms. it even refuses crickets after i feed it some nightcrawlers.

Last edited:

danfong88

supermeal worms are the best... and does not hurt the aro. Shrimp are great too. So and using pellets are good too. It depend on your aro.. most of the time depends on individual aros.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
My RTG will eat a few NLS and massivore pellets, market shrimp, nightcrawlers but loves superworms. The only issue is he can eat 50 worms and still go for more.

My Chilli only ats superworms, nightcralwers and shrimp.

My baby 24K is already eating Hikari food sticks and I'm so thrilled to finally have an aro regularly eat pellets. I'll eventually have him on meatier foods like shrimp and superworms, but I want him to have good skeletal growth and so I'll keep him on hikari pellets for a while.

bcarlos

1goodcatch,

The only relatively cheap feeding frogs you can legally buy in Ontario are the African clawed (about $1 a piece for small ones). For an aro bigger than 8 inches, though, this is not sufficient. For a while I raised my own Leopard frogs. That's a route you can take but you're in for some work.

DaiDee

1goodcatch,

The only relatively cheap feeding frogs you can legally buy in Ontario are the African clawed (about $1 a piece for small ones). For an aro bigger than 8 inches, though, this is not sufficient. For a while I raised my own Leopard frogs. That's a route you can take but you're in for some work.

Those african frogs are the ones Aro7 used for his gold.

bcarlos

Yeah, they're good because they eat anything and everything, so they're easy to gut load. I was gut loading mine on brine shrimp and blood worms. Did wonders for my aro's colour.

arapaimag

Beside the foods mentioned My aro's also eat mackerel, lake trout, cichlids and Martin's Koi and Trout pellets.

carcrazy

That's quite the variety! My red, xb and green eat shrimp, sw and the occasional pellet. I limit the sw, though, as they seem to be addictive to my aros and it is hard to get them back on other foods.

h.l_nathan

I feed mine whatever I fine in the freezer now. B4 it was just shrimp, but after I tried mussels, scallop, fillet and beef. They seam to eat almost anything I through in. Sometimes as a treat I'll buy them some fresh prawns or dig up some worms.

1goodcatch

What kind of Feeder Frogs did you feed the Aro?

i bought a few frogs recently...excited to feed my aro

i heard of crickets being pretty nutritious for aro's but be warned...its like crack for them, hard to get them off it once they eat it. mine starved for a few weeks after i stopped feeding it crickets.