Best substrate?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I know this question comes up for every ray keeper at some point or other. What is the best substrate to use?

I was planning on getting some 3M white Colorquartz, grade s from the USA. The product is discontinued, so I thought I would pick some up while I can. However, after reading a thread on MFK I am now not so sure:

( http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251750 )

Look at what happened to the grains of sand extracted from the fellow's ray (in the photo below). They have basically been stripped of their color, presumably by the ray's stomach acid. I wonder exactly what chemicals were released inside the ray's stomach during that process?

A poster on another forum comments on this subject saying:

The only thing that bugs me about it, is that it contains Chromium oxide. Chromium oxide (Cr2O3) is insoluble in water but not acid. when exposed to acid lets say inside of the stomach; chromium oxide then turns into hydrated chromium ions [Cr(H2O)6]3+. which basically means heavy metals. the amount and effect of said metals is unknown to me.. that's what bugs me

So, what do you think?

Attachments

• 3M_in_ray_stomach.JPG
    3M_in_ray_stomach.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 636
  • sand_in_ray_stomach2.JPG
    sand_in_ray_stomach2.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 660

Cimmel1

I used to use Estes sand. I only read good things on this sand (that was like 5 years ago) and never had any issues when using it. My only advise would be to pre-soak it as for some reason it likes to float when first introduced into the tank.

Boydo

I have had great success with Target Play Sand its pre-washed and contains only sand - no chemicals. Great natural color and very cheap.:)

carcrazy

I use home depot playsand and also aquarium gravel that is not sharp (want rounded, smooth grains). Do not use any clay based substrate, it is too sharp. I think a substrate is better than bare bottom because rays like to bury themselves in sand on occasion.

skynoch

I've also read that about the 3m and have been leary ever since.
I've tried the target playsand and the stuff I got in edmonton was way to light for big rays and kept getting in my filters and powerheads even when mounted near the surface of a 3' tank.
I'm still to find something I totally like. Currently I'm using a black sand from aquagiant that seems fine even though it feels sharp.
Haven't tried estes but have also heard great things about it.

chen88

Super Moderator
I'm using estes right now but going bare with new acrylic. My new acrylic's back and bottom panel are black so keeping it bare.

JMorash

Estes is my vote. Only substrate I trust with my rays but agree with Cimmel1 about the floating issue. It's pretty annoying for the first bit. That being said, I think bare bottom is the best way to go.

rudy

I use the aquagiant black sand and love it. Does not bother the rays in the slightest.

DaiDee

I picked up some estes sand from BA over the boxing day sale. It was $6 for 5lbs. Pretty good deal. Should check it out if there's still some left.