best way to treat a tank with aro's in it (medications?)

hustler

So my 5 asians are doing great :) my 300 is cycled and the auto water changer works like a charm keeping everything at zero.... Now i have a small issue that has been stressing me right out.I had purchased a fei feng a while back that ended up having a few spots of ich...... he dissapeared the next day so i figured all was well.... Then i noticed the other day one of my big tinfoils had a few faint spots on the top of its head. The fish arent covered with ich by any means but a few spots means its in there... Im going to get melafix for the fighting damage and hope this prevents everyone from getting it and I have my heat at 31.4 and ive added 3 cups of salt to begin with an 1 cup of salt per week (not sure if im under dosing) My aro's fight from time to time so a dropped scale or a torn fin here and there. I dont want this to get any worse and I would like to treat the tank and wipe it out for good. I just dont like medications and i havent had any problems other than torn fins in years so Im panicking right now..... I also dont want the clown loaches to get it as i have heard they are very hard to treat.... And im supposed to be getting a pair of rays this weekend that I may have to postpone now.
I wish there was a SET heat and salt amount so you know exactly what your doing.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated Bros :)

hustler

I dont want to try my hand with ridich..... I dont like meds at all but i cant seem to get the hang of the salt with this damn auto waterchanger lol.... I know im changing about 60 gallons a day but what is throwing me is that it isnt a TRUE 60 gallons its a fraction so i cant just add salt for the 60???
anyone good with a calculator :)?

peacockbass

treating a bigger tank is tougher....but crank the heat and lots of salt as suggested....are you using a quarantine tank before you intro new fish into the 300??...

Boydo

treating a bigger tank is tougher....but crank the heat and lots of salt as suggested....are you using a quarantine tank before you intro new fish into the 300??...

Very good point. With the expensive stock like you have, a quarantine tank is a must.

Like the others said add salt to 0.3% which would be 3.4 kgs of salt for 300 gallons.

hustler

The FF was the only new addition other than the xback and the loaches that were 100% when i got them and the ff stayed in the 180 for a week before i put him in but i did rush it..... never again.....
3.4kg of salt? i thought it was 1 tbs per 5 gallons?
Is there a specific math to this im not catching? lol
Also do you know what the ratio would be for adding salt daily with a 60 gpd drip?
Also 31C not too hot is it?
Thanks for all the help guys

hustler

how do you calculate the amount of ACTUAL new water that is added daily for the salt dose? eg. 300 gallon changing 60 gal per day but its constantly draining new water out with the old diluting my calculations lol

Boydo

Use a measuring cup and the measure the amount of new water going into the tank for say a 1 minute interval. Take the amount in mls collected and times by 60 x 24 then divide by 1000 and divide by 3.8 which will be your gal/day. There are lots of salt and med calculators out there just google around to you find one you like.

Heres one that handy:

http://www.arowanaclub.com/ClubArticles/Calculator.htm

So if you are changing 60 gals a day add 680 grams of salt a day extra.

HTH