Biggest Tank Comfortably Moved??

AroNoob

Felt like I hijacked charlesiao's thread (sorry) so I thought I would start my own.

What size tank can be manoeuvred around without being ridiculous? The room I have allocated for my fish room is in the basement at the end of a hall. I would put it in my main room but I'm scared my dogs will scare the fish everytime they run by. If I build a tank in the room, I have to plan for the pain in the ass having it disassembled if I move, has anyone had to do this?

Thanks,

Ron

peacockbass

120....135 is doabale with 2 ppls.....180 will need at least 4 strong guys.....not fun to move....i remember i had to move mine when i sold house.....in the basement when first got it...then out...then into new place....never really want to do that again...lol..

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I have moved 180s with a friend into and out of my basement. Mind you, I'm 6'2" with a good back for lifting and my buddy Ray is 6'3" or so.

I had my 360 built in my basement since the stairwell won't allow anything bigger than 6x2x2. It was built with taking it apart in mind. Piano wire will cut through the silicone joints like butter. :)

I'll be building another soon and it will be a bit bigger than the 360. ;)

AroNoob

Thanks guys! Since I am 5'5" and 155 lbs soaking wet I don't think I'll plan it to be moved around, especially in the tight spaces I have to work with. Built in it is, I think I will go with 96" x 36" x 30" (450 gallon), what height should the stand be?

Ron

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Depends on the height of the tank, ceiling height and what you plan to have under the stand. I have a 5x2x2 150 on a stand that is 28" high and my 8x3x2 360 is on a stand at 32" high. I much prefer 32". Better viewing and more space underneath. I'm thin king that with a 30" high tank, a slightly lower stand might be better though.

AroNoob

Depends on the height of the tank, ceiling height and what you plan to have under the stand. I have a 5x2x2 150 on a stand that is 28" high and my 8x3x2 360 is on a stand at 32" high. I much prefer 32". Better viewing and more space underneath. I'm thin king that with a 30" high tank, a slightly lower stand might be better though.

The ceilings in my basement will be 9' and nothing will be under the stand as the piping will go out the back, through the wall and into my utility room. For your 32" stand, what is the top of the tank height compared to your eye level?

Thanks,

Ron

DaiDee

lol Gerry you're a monster....2 guys to move a 180? You're a champ...

Aronoob, I agree with Gerry that you probably don't need to go that high with your stand. If nothing is going underneath the stand, you don't need to go higher than 28". Once your setup is over 60", maintenance becomes a little more difficult. Especially if you don't have long arms. Are you planning on putting a couch infront for viewing?

AroNoob

lol Gerry you're a monster....2 guys to move a 180? You're a champ...

Aronoob, I agree with Gerry that you probably don't need to go that high with your stand. If nothing is going underneath the stand, you don't need to go higher than 28". Once your setup is over 60", maintenance becomes a little more difficult. Especially if you don't have long arms. Are you planning on putting a couch infront for viewing?

There won't be a couch but it will be in my office so I'll be swiveling around to admire the fish. I'm actually thinking of only going with a 24" stand, I'm short so it'll bring it into my airspace.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Be careful how low you go, as you will want a reasonable view of the tank while standing as well.

The top of my 360 is at 58". I built the stand to be at 32" because I needed 28" of clearance for the homemade sump and the Ultima filter, plus to some degree I can crawl underneath should I need to do something behind the tank, like pick up a stupid 17" endli bichir that likes to pretend it has wings instead of fins once in a while.

CanadaPleco

I'm not a big guy, 5'9" 165lbs, and i regularly have moved 135g tanks myself with a dolly. Can pickup and move miracles 75g tanks no problem (and weigh more then average 75g). It did take 6 guys to move my 300+ gallon tank in though, its 10 feet long and 2 x 2' And if I ever move I intend on taking it with me as well. Its amazing what you can move yourself with a good dolly and some pretty basic physics so you don't kill yourself.

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
Ok so not to brag but just last week my friend and i moved one of my 220 out of my house into a minivan but that was absolutely RIDICULOUS :)
Im am now building a 120x32x26 and i think the stand will be 40" high just cuz i want clearance for my sump ( 150g 30" high )

carcrazy

Is this the monster fish keepers forum? The tanks just keep getting bigger (and I get more and more jealous). Lucky guys!

I have always hired a trucking company to transport and move my tanks. It's worth it to me to spend an extra $200 and not worry about dropping the tank on my foot.:eek:

CanadaPleco

Trucking company man, thats the easy way out. hehe, moving my 120"x24"x24" I had to get a 16' trailer and drive through a foot and a half of snow to my backyard to get it in, now that was fun! Thank god for 4x4 and snow tires.

moving a 220 with 2 of you is impressive, that's a heavy tank! Have fun getting that 120" / 10' up 40"... not going to be fun at all! Is it a glass tank?

charlesiao

I was moving my 150 gallon with me and my other friend down the basement, and i am pretty sure i won't do it again,haha, it was a nightmare

Arrow

I say where theres a will theres a way LOL

That being said anything larger than a 220gal I would get it proffessionally moved.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I just moved a 180 out of a guys basement and then into my own with a buddy. That 180 sure felt a lot heavier than the last one I moved a couple of years ago. Thank God for industrial suction cups!

hustler

I moved a 180 oceanic 5/8" glass with 1 buddy into my basement the day before xmas.... and Moved another 180 from my basement to his yesterday.... 2 guys.... no problem. a 230 is almost as easy but you would want a 3rd guy there just incase someone buckled and needed a quick hand. but it all depends on how big you and your friends are :)