BRINGING FISH BACK FROM ASIA

CHILLI RED

My brother-in-law is going to saigon, vietnam for a month in a few weeks time. he told me he would bring back a couple fish for me if he could do so legally. i know arowana require paperwork and i already have one. i know that some ST and/or CT are available for sale there. Does anyone know where to buy nice dats there? Anyone know if these can be brought back? i thought i would look for info first here before i contact a government dept. to look for info. i though others might have experience with bringing fish back from overseas. i appreciate any knowledge you can pass on. :)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Here is what I can tell you. I recently met a serious African cichlid keeper and breeder near Vancouver who personally brings back wild-caught fish each year when he visits Germany. He simply makes the purchase in Germany, packs the fish in bags, packs these bags inside heavy duty garbage bags, puts all of this in styrofoam boxes that are inside tight fitting cardboard boxes, then puts everything inside a duffle bag. His duffle bag fits two boxes. He then sends the fish through as checked luggage. He has done this many times, the most recent being 8 months ago. He never tells the carrier what he is doing, he never asks for permission. He just does it.

If you have the nerve to do this, go for it.

As for me, when I was in Asia I looked into bringing fish into Canada with me as checked luggage. Unfortunately, all the airlines I asked refused to allow it. In fact, they all had contract language on their websites forbidding the transfer of tropical fish as checked luggage. In other words, they force you to send it as cargo. This gets way more complicated. Keep in mind that depending on the country, you will likely have to obtain a wildlife export certificate on exiting the country. You can usually obtain this at the airport. If shipping as cargo, however, you would need an agent to do this step for you.

And so I cooperate with fish farms and agents directly in Asia.

Maybe next time I am over there I will risk trying to get the fish home as checked luggage. When you are talking about high end exotic tropical fish, however, it could be a costly gamble.

And so there you have it - that is what I know on the subject! :)

arl

I brought in 1 x-back from singapore all the way to Regina as my check in baggage. No papers or telling/asking airport autorities :D. That was back in 2004 when airports are not as strict as they are now. And back then CITES singapore doesn't have an option for aros to be brought out of singapore unless your a registered dealer. I think they kinda just close their eyes when they see just 1 aro being smuggled out. I even read in arofanatics an AVA officer saying that they just let it go if it is just 1 aro. Now you can get a special cites permit just for 2 aros per passenger even if your just a tourist and bring it as your check in laggauge. But you still have to get the canadian cites papers as you do with group buys. Before you check in just bring your aro and 2 cites papers to the airport AVA office and they will check it, scan and everything, then they will seal the box. Now that they have this legal option to baggage your aro they are strict in how you bringing out aros, so I advise that you just get the permits because Singapore airport scan every checked in laggauge.