Building a glass tank

mr ry

okay so im thinking of building a fish tank myself and i have a few questions to throw out there is it just silicon that bonds the glass together.... Id like to build something over 1000 gallons is a all glass aquarium okay to do that big or do i need to build plywood tank??

CanadaPleco

Ppl do ply because it's cheaper then glass. Myself if I were building one I'd do it with acrylic. Glass scratches, is very heavy and doesn't insulate at all. Acrylic holds temp a lot better, u can buff out scratches and a couple people could move the tank vs an army.

mitchb

Being a part of moving a 450 gallon has made me never want one that big made out of glass, however owning acrylic has shown me how soft it really is.

I guess it comes down to the following:
Budget, as it would go plywood, glass, then acrylic for cost.
and if you are planning on moving.

If you are not going to be there 100% in the future for a long time I would think about acrylic as it is easier to move. However, there is no way to just cut down an acrylic tank so you must ensure that it is thin or shallow enough to get through doors ( or take walls out )

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I think there are a couple DIY large tank build threads on the site. Easiest and cheapest approach with glass is to have one main viewing panel with the sides/back of tank being wood with epoxy/resin paint.

mr ry

Okay well im thinking of doing a 4.5 ft tall 4 ft wide and 10 ft long only reason why i want glass is for multipe viewing area..... No stand just a good layer of wood

Kyuss

I think there are a couple DIY large tank build threads on the site. Easiest and cheapest approach with glass is to have one main viewing panel with the sides/back of tank being wood with epoxy/resin paint.

how is that epoxy/resin to clean?....ive seen some of vids and seems like the algae likes to hang on to the paint....just seeing if it is easy to rub stuff off or is it really tacky...or do you really want to try rubbing the epoxy in the first place?(making it weak or creating a leak)

Thanks

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Yes, I agree it is a pain to clean and it can get kind of "slimy" over time. I worked in a shop with a 500 gallon tank once and over the years the back and side wood panels that were painted took on a green tone.

mr ry

Okay so im just still curious is it silicon that holds a glass tank all together or is it a substance to melt glass together .... After buying my 360 gallon building a all glass tank is still cheaper...

mitchb

Yeah it is the silicon between the panes that hold it all together and then the corner seems protect those binding pieces.

Or you can get some of those bullnose style, or osaka, tanks that are curved pieces but if you are looking for a diy and best price i would think that curved glass is out of the question.

CanadaPleco

If you are wanting to go 4.5' tall your going to need extremely thick glass, my guess would be over an inch thick. Big $$$$$. My 48"x25"x24" of half inch glass bows! The pressure goes up massively that taller the tank is.

h.l_nathan

I've done a few large tanks from glass but never that tall. Max was 3feet. If don't suggest going that tall with glass anyhow unless you want to spend getting 1.5inch original thicker to be able, withstand the pressure.
Using silicone or uv weld glass works too, but for that size you will need euro and American bracing.
My suggestion to you is go acrylic.
hope that helps