Canister Filter Comparison

jackson

I have read that reviwe and that is why I bought a FX5. I thought it would be a great addition to the tank just as extra filtration. If I could I would throw the FX5 at the guy that wrote that review because this thing is crap. I think of it as a huge power head that is taking up space out side of my tank not in it. I would never recommend this to another person.

I like the XP4's they are great cheap and do a better job than both mentioned.

T1KARMANN

the thing i dont like about the FX5 is its just one big sponge filter their is not enought media in it for my liking

and the super big pond hoses it uses why its not a pond filter they are very hard to clean and a joke to get in some tanks

i just dont trust fluvals track record lets just see how long they last i vist a few forums and you see FX5 problems poping up all over the place and its been on the market what 1yr or 2yrs not that long really considering most eheims last 10yrs plus

a filter is the kidney of your tank dont cut costs on it or you will need a kidney replacement within 5yrs :D

danfong88

Yes... if you read the track record on FX-5, nothing but problems. You get what you pay for. The media on the FX-5 is like sponge and not like media on Eheim. If you want crystal water quality.. then one should consider a sump ( wet/ dry). This way, one will get a good water filtering process.
Ehiem is the king of canister pumps.. and Fluval is marketing their pumps simply because of Price.

EKen

Super Moderator
Actually the Eheim ProIII 2080 has supposedly an outlet flow of 450GPH, which supposedly can accomodate tanks up to 320 gallons...

EKen

Super Moderator
Yes... if you read the track record on FX-5, nothing but problems. You get what you pay for. The media on the FX-5 is like sponge and not like media on Eheim. If you want crystal water quality.. then one should consider a sump ( wet/ dry). This way, one will get a good water filtering process.
Ehiem is the king of canister pumps.. and Fluval is marketing their pumps simply because of Price.

Well... Nothing is stopping you from putting Eheim media in it you know. Of course, you won't have the same media volume available but still...

I find that the FX5 is a good cheap mechanical filter, with a good flow. But from the last one that I got, I can tell that the quality is not the same as my previous ones. Looks like they are cutting on the material quality to make it even cheaper price-wise.

Of course the ideal would be a sump, but just thinking about drilling holes and setting up a sump makes a lazy guy like procrastinate...

T1KARMANN

even still im not that fond of sumps i have used canister filters all my life so would stick with them

drilling my tank is not a problem as it acrylic you can drill hoses when and were you want them

sumps are good but they have some down sides they are a bit noisey and smelly to have in my living room

also i would say my 4 x eheim have more media in them than you chould fit in a 4ft sump

i have 42 liters of media in my filters :D

EKen

Super Moderator
Anyway, I am thinking of getting 5 of eheim pro 3e soon. Price so far is good to me, 800 each if I buy 2080 media to fill it up. And 700 each if I buy 2028 media to fill it up. Let me know if it is good price.

Where did you get those quotes? I am pretty sure you can find better prices...

The accomodated aquarium size on the 2078 is much smaller because there is less media volume available.

T1KARMANN

if you buy the 2080 their is a media kit that is much cheaper than buying it seperate

i have no idear why the 2078 has a faster flow rate than the 2080

i think its all down to space the 2080 is a massive filter were you can fit the 2078 in a smaller space

if you were to buy 5 x 2080s that would mean you will have 10 x intake pipes in your tank :D thats alot of pipes

but with the 2078 you will only have 5 x intake pipes

the good thing with the 2080 and the 2 intake pipes is you can do what i done take 1 intake pipe direct to the 2080 then the 2nd pipe you can take it to a big pond bucket 1st then out of the pond bucket to the 2080
this gives you a massive pre filter and much more sponges than a FX5 :D