Canister Filter Comparison

T1KARMANN

Good suggestion. Plus eken also told me to combine the 2 intakes outside the tank into one, and then put into the tank, so it is still 1 intake and 1 outlet in the tank per 2080 filter. Are there any disadvantage while combining 2 intakes into one.

That should work fine but you will need to make sure the pipe in the tank is bigger that 16-22mm hose or the flow rate will be to slow or eheim would have used 1 x 16-22mm hose

use the pond bucket method you will not be disapointed it works great

you can get one of the pond buckets for £30 and it doubles the surface area in the filter :D

EKen

Super Moderator
That should work fine but you will need to make sure the pipe in the tank is bigger that 16-22mm hose or the flow rate will be to slow or eheim would have used 1 x 16-22mm hose

use the pond bucket method you will not be disapointed it works great

you can get one of the pond buckets for £30 and it doubles the surface area in the filter :D

I am pretty sure that the same diameter of tubing can accomodate the 2 inlets succion flow. The succion is gonna be a bit stronger too. You can assure that both inlets are working by starting the canister, then check if there is water in both inlets. If not, block the inlet (by bending the pipe) that has water flowing in so that the other one has time to suck in enough water. The outlet flow would not be that much dminushed, as I have experimented almost the same situation when one of my inlet did not take water in fast enough and only one was working. The succion that the pump creates divides its power into 2 pipes, so if there is only one pipe, that one would get more power from the pump. The succion of course would not be as strong as if there was 2 inlets, but not reduced by half.

The pond bucket seems like a great idea too, as I am using this also on other filter as a mechanical pre-filter. But that would also add one more outlet pipe to the tank.

Last edited:

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Another thing to mention about the Fluval is that when Hagen tests their products to get their gph they test with no media inside. So when you add the sponges and other media the flow is greatly reduced. Same goes with Aquaclears

EKen

Super Moderator
True, but I think that all companies test their Filter Flow without the media in it. According to the review the Real Flow of the FX5 full of media was 50% of its specified flow, while the Eheim ProIII 2080 real flow was 70% of its specified flow.

T1KARMANN

this is the problem i have all the time i cant get pics as the big 2080 sits in front of the pond bucket so you cant see them

its hard to explain

but this is the best i can do

you have 2 x intake pipes for the 2080
you take 1 x intake pipe to the 2080 as normal
the 2nd intake pipe you take to a big pond bucket like this you dont need a pond bucket with a UV or pump
http://www.pond-tec.co.uk/fishmate-10000-236-p.asp

then out of the pond bucket to the 2080 as normal

you just need to lift the pond bucket up slightly higher than the 2080 so the water still flows throw the pond bucket

this filtration method works very very well :D

T1KARMANN

ooops sorry wrong link :D

http://www.valueaquatics.co.uk/blagdon-cyclone-10000-pond-filter-p-158.html

this is the pond buckets i use 1 input 1 out put

i have the bladgon 5000 x 2 one on each 2080 they are much cheaper without the UV

pond UVC dont work on a tank like a UVS made for a tank

the hose conections on the pond bucket are 24mm or 25mm but the eheim hose fits with some hot water

its also best to use eheim double taps to make it easy to take the pond bucket in or out

Last edited:

T1KARMANN

a UV for a tank is diffrent to a pond UV

a pond UVC is to get rid of algue and blanket weed
a tank UVS gets rid of parsites and also helps clear the water

unless you have lots of algue in your tank then a pond UVC is a bit pontless + you are ment to pump water throw the pond bucket very fast so the UVC may boil your water

Last edited: