Channa Barca - 20" +

JMorash

Hey guys,

Entertaining offers for my Channa Barca. Amazing fish, super rare in Canada only a handful here (like maybe 4 or 5).

CBarca2.png

No set price, I paid $3000 for it when it was 14". Not expecting to get quite that much, but I won't even respond to ridiculous low balls. Not looking to heckle. If you want Channa Barca, guarantee this is one of the nicest ones around. It has been pampered from day one and is in perfect condition. It is eating pellets (Hikari or NLS) and crickets twice a week.

And no it can't go with stingray, these guys like cooler temperatures, and get sick at temperatures adequate for tropical fish. Plus it's bound to kill anything you put in with it.

It is in Halifax NS, but will ship at buyers expense.

JMorash

Last edited:

exoticaquaria

crazy nice fish!!! got me thinking about putting this in a community setting until i read the 2nd paragraph. true rare monster fish! gluck with the sale!

King-eL

Very nice! Why u selling it? I have two channa barca both 18" and lives happily in my overstocked tank even at temp 80-82F. Always begging for food and yes they are aggressive. They are now planning on taking over my 26" emeperor snakehead, the tank's big Bo$$. It's been almost a year now in two more months. I don't know why so many people who kept them in warm temp and end up getting sick with skin infection. I've seen many people in Asia who also keeping temp in warmer temp 79-80F without having issue. One person have a pair in a 84F temp.

JMorash

Immune systems do seem to be compromised at that level. He was at my parents for a couple months while I moved and the water temperature shot up there and he was not too happy. I wouldn't risk it. I've seen them do good in overstocked tanks, but still too risky for my likings.

JMorash

A few keepers of these guys are thinking this fish could rival micropeltes in size. There are already 30"+ Barca in captivity, I guess some think they can surpass that size. Only time will tell!

sinnick

A few keepers of these guys are thinking this fish could rival micropeltes in size. There are already 30"+ Barca in captivity, I guess some think they can surpass that size. Only time will tell!

who owns a 30" barca? thats enormous... i alway assumed they maxed out at around 24"

JMorash

Pretty sure a couple of David Ash's are getting up there (he's had them for a lot longer than most people). I was speaking a couple owners from Europe and Asia about them and people say that they've heard of a Barca in Japan that are 30"+. Same story from different people from different sides of the world. Could be a myth, but with my experience with this fish I really wouldn't doubt it.

carcrazy

Beautiful fish! I lost my 24" Black Shark Catfish last week, yours looks very healthy. At least my 20" Clown Knife can have some peace, the catfish was pretty aggressive. But I do sometimes think about trying a snake head. Good luck with your sale of a fantastic fish!

Plum

Beautiful.

Would love to add another, but I have a female and male that have been living together with no issues for about 12 months.

Their temp is around the 77F mark, though you could be right about them liking the lower temps - unsure.

Mind are quite peaceful, though they remqain in a cornr with driftood lately.

Unsure if it was the temp raise of a couple degrees, or the over stocking that they dont like.

I will lower the tempt to find out - thanks for posting your experience.