Chinese soft shell turtle

hugh

Has anybody ever seen these turtles kept with aros? i mean i have seen PNT never a shoft shell turtle until this weekend, i was attended a friends party and i was so drawn to his tank with a super red, clown loaches and dats, then all of a sudden i see this turtle with a long neck. i knew it wasn't a PNT. later found out it was a soft shell turtle.

EEYY

Has anybody ever seen these turtles kept with aros? i mean i have seen PNT never a shoft shell turtle until this weekend, i was attended a friends party and i was so drawn to his tank with a super red, clown loaches and dats, then all of a sudden i see this turtle with a long neck. i knew it wasn't a PNT. later found out it was a soft shell turtle.

Something like this.

DSC01985.jpg

hugh

yes, that is it. it was about 4 inches. still a baby. i don't think they should be kept with aros.

jackson

Thats a snake neck probably one from thailand. It is not a side neck or a soft shell.

as for keepin g any soft shell with fish it is a bad idea they are just about as bad as snapping turtles. They kill for fun and bite like crazy. I just sold mine they were too much to handle.

EEYY_ is that yoru turtle? if so can you get more? I have one and want another.

joshhoward

pnt do have soft shells, just like soft shell turtles do. but they actually have a hard shell underneath their leathery shell skin.
so has anyone had any luck with other turtles with their aros other than pnts?

and does anyone have any soft shell turtles..im looking for some

EKen

Super Moderator
pnt do have soft shells, just like soft shell turtles do. but they actually have a hard shell underneath their leathery shell skin.
so has anyone had any luck with other turtles with their aros other than pnts?

and does anyone have any soft shell turtles..im looking for some

Did you try kijiji.ca bro... There's some going for fairly cheap.

T1KARMANN

its up to each person what they keep in their tank

i have kept a PNT before and they mess up the water real bad and they turn crazy at a certain size and kill fish for fun

its worth the risk with other fish but not a $2k aro

i kept mine with a banjar red so not as much to lose

turtles and fish dont mix IMO

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I visited a turtle sanctuary the other day in Cherating, Malaysia. Besides the marine turtles they had some full size PNT's on display. At about 2 feet diameter they are freaking huge. I am used to "2 feet" meaning a fish is 2 feet long. When a turtle is 2 feet across from any angle, well, I personally would have trouble telling myself that I could give it a tank size it deserves. The same sort of logic goes for why I wouldn't keep arapaima gigas...

jackson

I don't think in our tank the PNT will go that big because our tank size is limit to their size. So far, my PNTs does not mess up everything, does not bite fish, but take all the left overs including shell of shrimps that aros do not take when they are full.

Do you plan on builing a tank or enclosure for the your FRT before it dies because it is being stunted? That what will happen if it is not given the space it needs to grow. Or you will end up with a depressed turtle that does not swim or move around which in turn means it will not eat and then death will kreep up on it. That's why people should know what they are getting into before they buy the small adorable turtle that will out grown most if not every tank it's owner has. Then it has to be sold off or kept in very poor conditions.

I don't think in our tank the PNT will go that big because our tank size is limit to their size. This is not correct.

Last edited:

T1KARMANN

the down sides of PNT/FRT they live for 50yrs+ best ask you grand kids if they will be willing to take care of it

they do mess up the water real bad with stuff you cant test for i.e heavey organics due to their high veg intake

as for being stunted in a tank i dont think thats posable

and they will grow to this size this PNT/FRT was hissing at the owner when out of the water god know what damage it can do to a aro

image031.jpg