CITIES permit

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
As far as I know, you do not have to have a cert; however, the fish have to have legally entered the country, meaning they would be chipped and have their chip numbers on file with the CITES guys in Ottawa.

This is a far cry from the situation in the UK where you have to go to the authorities and register any change of ownership of an Asian arowana. Think of it like having to apply for a new cert every time you buy or sell an aro inside Canada. Yikes.

See: Importing Asian arowana to the UK

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Only if you plan to ship it out of the country.

In order to export the fish out of Canada (meaning overseas, as the USA/Mexico are illegal), you would have to either use the bulk CITES import cert used in the importation process or else apply for a whole new CITES permit for the purpose of re-export. Years ago when the farms were short on brooders I heard that they were willing to pay good money to get large brooder fish shipped to them. Still, I have never heard of a fish legally leaving Canada.

AroNoob

In order to export the fish out of Canada (meaning overseas, as the USA/Mexico are illegal), you would have to either use the bulk CITES import cert used in the importation process or else apply for a whole new CITES permit for the purpose of re-export. Years ago when the farms were short on brooders I heard that they were willing to pay good money to get large brooder fish shipped to them. Still, I have never heard of a fish legally leaving Canada.

I agree, but if you had the cert and the fish was registered as legally imported, getting export paperwork wouldn't be too hard to get. When I dealt with snakes getting CITES paperwork would take about a week and people who were exporting regularly could get it in a couple days