Crayfish as Food?

Gavin Hunter

wild caught

I was thinking of marble crayfish on a large colony level. At least then you would know where they came from.I personally,would feed wc crayfish.

AroNoob

I was thinking of marble crayfish on a large colony level. At least then you would know where they came from.I personally,would feed wc crayfish.

Breeding my own Marbled crays is exactly what I was planning. I am going to have a tank of Cherry shrimp and a tank for Marbled crays all for feeders. When Wayne was in Singapore he was surprised that the farm he visited feed their arowanas and adult rays Ghost shrimp.

AroNoob

Here is an example of the cherry shrimp I am breeding to feed to my future SR; if it doesn't help the colour, I don't know what will.

Attachments

• PFR_Berried_Female_Almost.jpg
    PFR_Berried_Female_Almost.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 495
  • PFR_Berried_Female.jpg
    PFR_Berried_Female.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 537

FOSSILFISH

I wouldn't recommend it. At least not all the time. I guess depending on size, as long as they are not too big.
Their shells are really hard and you should break off their pincers. If your breeding them, why not pick out the newly moulted cray's and feed those. That would be better.
As far as the red shrimps, I guess that would be better but the red from the shrimp will not go to the fish. Ghost shrimps will do the same thing.
Not sure how big your arow's are, but to feed that to my XB gold, I would need a few hand full's for each feeding. Not sure you can produce enough.
I like to keep it simple, (HIKARI, of course) floating pellets and massivore all the way, it's nutritionally complete and a balanced diet.
But thats just my preference, feel free to do what you like.:D

bcarlos

i never kept aros before but i feed my rays crayfish all the time.in my opinion amazing idea!!

but those little burbels "or what ever you call them" could get pinched off.i have seen some savage battles between rays and large crawfish.

X2! I just pull the claws off the crayfish, just to reduce the risk of damage to the underside of the ray. I know, I know, they don't have someone to do it for them in the wild, but you they also don't have someone paying thousands of dollars for them in the wild either :)