Dominant arowana

Kenta

Administrator
Hey all,

I recently added a large Fei Feng to my tank, its a beautiful fish. Before the addition of this fish, my arowana had the entire top and mid area to itself, with only a few other bottom dwelling fish.

It is intimidating and sometimes showing aggression to the new Fei Feng... The arowana is about 15-16" and the Fei Feng is about 13-14" so its large enough to fend for itself, but i find that it is cowering in the corner for a lot of the day and when it ventures out to the rest of the tank the arowana intimidates (usually without biting) it back to the corner.

My question is, how long do will it take for the arowana to get used to the FF, or do you think it ever will? Living alone for so long, it has never had to deal with tankmates that share the same strata.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
Hi Kenta, I've seen that behaviour before..

Once the phoenix realises its not getting hurt, it will eventually become more bold.
You aro has lots of tankmates, so its used to other fish, im sure they will get along eventually.

jackson

I really dont think it will take to the FF. Like you said it knows what is his and does not want to share. It might get used to it but who knows how long that willl take and how long the FF will last in such a stressful situation.

EKen

Super Moderator
I don't think your problem will ever be solved. Better pack that big FF and send it my way :D

Kenta

Administrator
Yuppa, yeah it has tankmates, but they all chill at the bottom so the arowana does not bother them at all... only sometimes when they come up to breath.

Jackson, in your experience do FF not fare well while under stress?

EKen, lol if i send it to you it won't just suck on your rays, it will eat them lol

jackson

I have had them and had to sell them because they did not eat at all after I put in my ST's. It all had to do with stress. I would rather sell the fish then have it die on me because I could not give them what they need and that was an environment that was not stressful.

I know they are said to be hardy fish but stress will kill most animals with time even us humans. Since then I never even thought about keeping them.

Who knows your Aro could just be testing him out to see where they stand. Give it a bit and see what happens. I know you know what you are doing LOL

lo sai

i had this same problem! my ff did live for quite awhile with the aro but i think it got stressed/ starved to death. Whenever it was feeding time my aro would charge the FF and would not let it eat, it just didnt like to share. In the end my FF got skinny and his fins started to rip and i do believe it was attacked by my aro. well hope you have better luck with your 2 fish

EKen

Super Moderator
My gf been beating on me since I met her. I don't think it will ever stop. It seems to happen more when the lights are out.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
nice size ff

you need to post some pics, kenta :)

"Originally Posted by EKen
My gf been beating on me since I met her. I don't think it will ever stop. It seems to happen more when the lights are out. "

"Again why keep that poor man in that situation LOL LOL LOL LOL"

sounds like a good girl to me :p

Last edited:

G_sharky

atleast your ff did better than mine....I didn't think that a 5" RTG would go after a small 2" FF since i've been feeding it pellets and when I release the FF my Arowana snag it like a feeder...I manage to get the FF off the Aro's mouth still alive with a lot of damage scales...transfer it to my other tank, but unfortunately there was no sign of it during the morning.....I thought it was going to make it as after a few hours on the other tank it started to swim around and chase my baby jardini around...

Kenta

Administrator
Just an update...

The big FF is getting OWNED by my arowana... i thought it was confident enough to hold its own, but i guess the arowanas attitude is too much for it to handle.... i don't want to get rid of it... do you think if i add a large tiger that the aggression will be dispersed and they can live somewhat normally?

EKen

Super Moderator
I think your RTG is not used to tankmates that swim with him in the top. Maybe you could add some cheap tankmates that can take a beating to spread the aggression around a little bit on them, like parrots.

I have a large tiger, and it doesn't help much. He protects his corner, and when the FF gets in his territory, he wacks the FF.

But Dragon-Tiger-Phoenix would be definitely a good combo, feng shui wise.

EKen

Super Moderator
What is QI?
And I saw some at Nature in West Island, if anyone is interested. They look pretty good, but Rulaifu's story scared me from buying one.

DiXoN

i added my newly picked up FF to my aro tank before i sold my aro and had to take it out after a couple of days as it had the same treatment from my RTG as yours.
it was just cowering in the corner until the aro went for it again and would dart away making the aro even more aggro.
my aro has gone so i put it back in the tank with my tigers and all is well and it is healing but there was no let up.