dwarf rainbow snakeheads?

aaronc

so was planning to get these guys for a species tank, what do you guys think? anyone kept them before?

i used to have one but it was a jumper and found the smallest crack in the top lid. wanted to get about 6 and maybe try a breeding project.

bcarlos

Never kept dwarves, but I know a few people who've kept regulars and regretted it. They are voracious eaters and cost a fortune to keep. Definitely keep a tight lid and watch your fingers!

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I'm guessing you're talking about Channa bleheri. I've kept a few of these guys in the past. Unfortunatly around here they are hard to come by so the generally run $50+ a piece. From what I've heard around Calgary they are pretty easy to come by because of a few breeders around here and can be had for around $20 a piece. Reallly nice fish. I would do it if you can find them.

Kolewolf

I will be importing Bleheri, Blue Bleheri, Gechau, Stewartii, Aurantimaculata, 5 Bar and something called True Blue. I will be getting them in about 3 weeks so shoot me a PM if interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

aaronc

yea i agree with the feeding part even my dwarf was pretty bad. but that with all oddballs i guess. a very interesting fish to watch for sure.

kolewolf, how much would shipping to toronto be? airport to airport?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I will be importing Bleheri, Blue Bleheri, Gechau, Stewartii, Aurantimaculata, 5 Bar and something called True Blue. I will be getting them in about 3 weeks so shoot me a PM if interested.

Kole - I recommend you set up some kind of group buy project. I am pretty sure there would be cross-Canada demand...

JMorash

Hey,

I have kept quite a few dwarf channa in the past. Bleheri are definitely pretty cool and great for their price. They have some of the better colors for the more common dwarf snake heads and become very personable very quickly. They will spend a lot of their time just hanging out in front of the tank waiting for food haha.

They are pretty easy to breed too. I just kept mine in a very well planted 75 gallon with 6 individuals (just a ton of java fern and moss) and then just had them on a lighting cycle. Nothing scientific, I was only trying to breed them for fun. I'm pretty sure I just changed the temperatures a few degrees every month (lower towards winter and higher towards summer) and then just timed the lighting to go along with the changing temperatures (longer nights in winter, longer days in summer, pretty simple stuff). I also have always figured that in the summer months water levels went down naturally so I gradually let the water levels in the tank go down with the warmer season.

Other than that I just kept them well fed, but not fat. I fed mine just about everything, color enhancing pellets, cichlid pellets, massivore sticks, blood worms, krill, shrimp, live food. Foods like blood worms, krill and shrimp will really bring out their colors. It's always good to have a bit of water flow so they get some more excercise than just floating in still water.

Good Luck,

Justin Morash

Kole - can you get in diplogramma and pleurophthalma?