Eheim 2028 rattling

impalass

9 yr old 2028 po 2 noisey after cleaning. Took it apart and everythings in order, impeller has no marks, impeller hole feels perfectly smooth. The rattling is intermittent and goes away within a hour.
Same thing happened after the power was off for 8 hrs.
Did a google search and the 2028s seem to have leakage issues in the heads, the only mention or noise was a result of air in the system, which in the past sounded different and cleared up in under a minute with this unit.
This filter is a back up on my over stocked 175g with a 2262 cannister. If it is on it's way out is it worth fixing? If not what Eheim should I replace it with?
Opinions?

DaiDee

I had an old one that started leaking around the head but never made a noise. I replaced the gasket around the head and it was good as new again.

The noise you're hearing, maybe change the ceramic shaft. Or change out the impellar but that'll cost more.

impalass

impellar, $54.99 ceramic axle-shaft $22.99 brand new 2028 pro II regularly go on sale for $249.99. (all prices B/A on line CAN.)
I'm guessing the hole which holds the impellar may be going out of round, if that makes any sense.
I've had the leak and replaced the outside head gasket/seal a few years ago. My google search turned up internal head o-rings failing and causing major leaks. This makes me hesitate fixing my 2028 or buying another one, although I have been pleased with it up to this point, (9yrs).
If I have to replace it a 2217 classic cannister (boxing week at b/a) may be a better choice long term, inspite of the smaller volume/capacity.