External pump problems? HELP!

tman

Super Moderator
I have a gold hammerhead hybrid that can also be converted to a barracuda. My question is...Can you put the pump on the front of the sump with an 90 degree elbow if you use two holes coming out to the pump or could I get away with one? I read you are supposed to come straight off to the pump but I currently have a dart running my 450 for the last few years with a 90 degree elbow in the front of the sump with no current problems. The hammerhead is a bigger pump so would I have burnout problems or something if I use an elbow coming off the sump to the pump or just less flow? If I come straight off my sump on the end panel I would have to have the stand notched out to make room for the pump as the pump straight out with fittings and a shut off run out 24" and I only have 20" to play with inside the stand before I hit the square tubing of the stand.The stand is going to be 2" square tubing so I am wondering if it would be easy enough to get the builder to notch out a piece so the pump can fit. Would the stand have less strength if I notch out a 9" section of the bottom rail?

Also I had to change the size of my tank as a 10' sheet of glass won't fit down my stairs. The new dimensions will be 8' x 42" x 30" c/w a 6' x 22" x 22" sump.

Last edited:

skynoch

What size of pipe are you using for your inlet. There will be no problem if the pipe size is big enough.

skynoch

I have 90's straight after my tank to my pump and no worries. Unless your pipe and pump are very closely matched

skynoch

Try flexpvc for charts on piping to help. Also some swimming pool websites have good info on pipe sizing.

tman

Super Moderator
The overflows will be at 2" into the sump and the hammerhead is 1 1/2" in and out. I was just wondering which way to put the pump..in front of the sump with the 90 degree elbow so the pump stays within the stand frame or on the end with the stand notched out so the pump can fit. Just not sure if it is good for the pump to restrict it with the elbow.

tman

Super Moderator
I want to plumb my new tank like my 450 gallon. Here is how it was plumbed and it works good. Just not sure if this would cause problems with the bigger hammerhead pump.

Attachments

• mini-IMG_0581.JPG
    mini-IMG_0581.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 947
  • mini-IMG_1788.JPG
    mini-IMG_1788.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,138