FAQ's

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Over the coming weeks and months I will try to make a list of all the frequently asked questions (FAQ's) I get posed regularly.

1. What kind of Asian arowana does CV Maju have for sale?

Maju breeds greens, banjars, rtg (red tail gold), bbxb (blue base cross back), and SR (super red); the standard size for all of these is 6 inches on arrival. SR's can be further categorized as either chilli or blood depending on their brood stock. SR's also come in 3 larger sizes (8-10 inches, 12-14 inches, 18-20 inches) and different grades (normal, premium and show). As an Indonesian farm, Maju is most famous for its SR's and offers excellent value in terms of quality and price.

2. What is a "premium" XB and where can I get one?

"Premium XB's" are most likey from Singapore or Malaysia; the price charged depends on the farm, size of fish and other variables. In general, what applies to SR's offered by Indonesian farms applies to Singapore or Malaysian farms in regards to XB's (including BBXB's). They come in different sizes and grades. At the very top is the GH (gold head), but this fish should only be purchased by advanced aro hobbyists who are willing to follow the precise farm/retailer instructions for their care. I have not heard of a farm that will guarantee how a GH will turn out in future.

3. What size of aro should I get?

When you buy a small 5-6 inch fish, you are taking a bit of a gamble. Though the fish should arrive without PLJ or DE, they could still develop these faults. Also, at smaller size you have less to go on to judge future colour characteristics. This is why the farm quality is important.

For both SR and XB, the bigger the fish with the more confirmed colour characteristics, the higher the price. At around 8-12 inches in size, both SR and XB tend to show their confirmed quality (red gill plates, and base/rim scale colour for SR, high shine, base/rim scale colour and pearlies for XB. And at that size with no PLJ or DE there is a higher chance the fish will not develop these defects. Finally, the shipping cost for fish that size is not so high.

The only way to really "guarantee" a top quality fish is to buy one that is around 16-20 inches. At that size you really know what you are getting. Prices will range from $2500-4500 depending on farm and fish type requested. Photos should be seen for fish purchased at that size.

Last edited: