FIRST ARO?

CHILLI RED

Is there any reason other than cost to start with a RTG as a first arowana? Many people have said to start with this type first.

EKen

Super Moderator
Well, cost is always a good reason. I guess because RTGs are good looking, at a reasonable price and a good first step into the asian arowana hobby. Personally, I find them a lot more attractive than the green, no offense to anybody.

CHILLI RED

I think i would just go for a SR first as that is my favourite and it takes quite some time for them to develop their colour and mature.

frozen-fire

If you have ANY experience with any type of aro, be it a silver or jar. You are set to get an asian. The care is very similar if not identical, and you won't have to worry about killing off the fish and losing so much. IMO, RTG is the best start point. I went through silvers, jar, yellow tail, panda gold, and now finally at my red. I think my journey will end here haha. You dont' want to be like me and keep upgrading. You lose out on a lot of money in the end.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
agreed frozenfire.. I've kept silvers, blacks, jardini's, RTG's and a red.. lots of trading and moving and money over the years. now im back at a rtg, and i think ones gonna be around a long time. (he's ugly as sin, no one wants him but me)

Aroboy II

In Singapore, RTG is one of the most easy and economical aro to start off with.
Most aros are hardy but due to hobbyist's negligence like fail to cover the tank properly or running to water management problems, the aro may die and at least you wont feel the pain (in terms of $$$).

Newbies, please dun misunderstands me but I have visited a lot of aro forums and it does happens. (but not all newbies).

Sygoomei

I'm currently on my first aro, which is a little Panda RTG from the October order. So far it seems to me that if you've been keeping fish for at least a year or two, you should be able to manage an aro if you do your research before actually acquiring one.

More succinctly, if you've raised a small fish to adulthood, then you've as good a chance as anyone in the normal stream of things at raising a healthy fish. That is, providing you have enough money to afford all the food you'll be feeding it. Being an active member on at least one Aro board definitely boosts your chances as well.

In my opinion, a RTG makes most sense to start with because as long as you care well for your fish, you'll have a gold fish with probably iridescent purple or blue, vs. a green with no colour; jardini who's too aggressive to keep with anything else; or silver who will eventually out grow even the largest of home aquariums.

My next choice is a Xback because then you'll most likely end up with a even more gold fish with even more iridescent colours, vs. a red which may or may not develop colour in the next 5 years.

I've yet to see any pics of the reds which were ordered from Panda. It'd be nice to see how the orders have turned out thus far.

Pax vobiscum,
Sygoomei

silvciv888

for me i started off w/ a silver and onto jars....i'm on my second one now. i'd rather practice w/ the cheaper arows so that i wont have to learn any expensive lessons........someday i'd like to move onto a community of say rtgs or srs.......

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
For anyone who has never kept an aro, I'd recommend starting with a silver South American. Next I'd recommend a quality HBRTG from Panda of course! ;)

G_sharky

Hi guys...I just got started with this whole arowana craziness....for so long I've wanted to get a silver, but did not really like how they grow so fast and big and then I saw pics of Asian arowana's and started checking out the forums for some good info about keeping them...I started with a baby Jardini which I have now, but itching to get an RTG...i wanted to get a green, but many people and LFS people are telling me to go to RTG instead of green...I'm definitely on the hunt for some good prices and I'll probably have one in the spring....mostlikely in May so atleast I could justify spending big money on fish for my Bday....LOL...

EKen

Super Moderator
Great time for the starters I guess. Asian Aros are much easy to find, and at much better price than not long ago.

danfong88

high back gold -$480-4"

There is new supply of aro in Toronto, I saw 4" high back gold for $480. But, I am new to this hobby and I really scared if dies on me. It is an expensive risk? anybody has suggestion about such a small high back golden?
:cool:

CHILLI RED

G-sharky, a member here bought one of those 4 inch RTG. You can ask him. It is more of a risk to buy it at a smaller size but it is cheaper price also.

danfong88

What about a High Back Golden from Panda? does anybody have experience in raising an arowana ( 4" ). I am thinking about purchasing this? any advise would be nice.

Rbacchiega

For anyone who has never kept an aro, I'd recommend starting with a silver South American. Next I'd recommend a quality HBRTG from Panda of course! ;)

Exactly what I'm doing!!!
I can tell I'm already addicted to the aro as a whole, but I don't think I"m quitre ready to own a 1800 dollar fish LOL

h.l_nathan

danfong88. at 4" you are looking for alot of tender care. You need to know how to raise baby crickets or buy small meal worms. I went through that stage and its alot of work.
If you are set on getting 1. I think you need a small tank so that you dont shock your aro and some plants for them so when they are afraid they can go there to hide.