first baby rays

tman

Super Moderator
I have tried just about everything to get them to eat. now, today I went back to bloodworms & about half of them got excited & seemed to eat a little. if they all get rolling I want to sell most of them to afford a pair of nice black & whites. maybe hondas3000 will still have his pair of bdxleo. hint, hint.

In my experience they usually won't eat until at least 5 days after being born as they absorb the egg sac for food. After that feed them cut up earthworms but make sure you cut them up small. My Henlei pup wouldn't eat bloodworms but would eat cut up earthworms. After about a month you can start mixing small pellets in a bowl with the cut up earthworms and they will eventually start to eat pellets. The pellets have to be sinking and very small and better off using Hikari.

exoticaquaria

I have tried just about everything to get them to eat. now, today I went back to bloodworms & about half of them got excited & seemed to eat a little. if they all get rolling I want to sell most of them to afford a pair of nice black & whites. maybe hondas3000 will still have his pair of bdxleo. hint, hint.

Thats good that they started to eat. Keep at it! They will get hungry eventually.

Also, perhaps add an air stone to that top tub. Lots of fish so more oxygen would also be beneficial.

Davids BDleo will be nice! I just saw them the other day when I picked up my pearl.

hondas3000

Live blackworm is the best for pup as the uneaten worm just stay alive in the tank and pup can come eat when ever they get hungry, but water do a major part in pup appetite.

As for my BDXLEO you might end up more pup and end up using them for feeder as you have too much pups :).

koietc

I have no live worms available to me. I have tried frozen blood worms, chopped smelt, chopped prawn, chopped night crawler & there is still not much interest. as for aeration, there is (3) 4" airstones going hard in the top tub, I just turn them off for viewing. how much do these guys eat when they start. maybe i'm expecting too much.

tman

Super Moderator
I have no live worms available to me. I have tried frozen blood worms, chopped smelt, chopped prawn, chopped night crawler & there is still not much interest. as for aeration, there is (3) 4" airstones going hard in the top tub, I just turn them off for viewing. how much do these guys eat when they start. maybe i'm expecting too much.

About one earthworm per sitting per pup. Feed maybe twice a day.

koietc

pups are a lot of work & worry i'm sure with experience I will get the hang of it. 15 years ago koi were the same way but now not much surprises me. as for hondas3000 bdxleo pair, I've never had a problem from day one with my adult rays & I never expected little ones, I am building a collection of unusual aquatic creatures to use as displays in my koi shop. the large rays will be for display & breeding is secondary. I have the rays new 900 gallon home almost finished & it sits about 6 feet from 2 tanks of axolotls. on Tuesday I will be receiving the newest store display in an 11" frt. this is all to satisfy my hobby but to entice people to come to my shop. built in hobby & advertsing, doesn't get much better than this as long as it helps generate sales. so, some black & white rays may fit & my newest pups may help me pay for them. my fingers are crossed.

koietc

the last 3 feeding attempts were live earthworms. they try eagerly to eat whole ones & even halved ones as they wriggle. once chopped they just won't eat them. so I broke half a dozen in half & let them wriggle. I then added frozen bloodworm among the wrigglers & they cleaned up the blood worms. the next feeding tried just blood worms & no reaction, add a few wrigglers & they clean up again. bit of a pain but worth it to see them eating.

tman

Super Moderator
pups are a lot of work & worry i'm sure with experience I will get the hang of it. 15 years ago koi were the same way but now not much surprises me. as for hondas3000 bdxleo pair, I've never had a problem from day one with my adult rays & I never expected little ones, I am building a collection of unusual aquatic creatures to use as displays in my koi shop. the large rays will be for display & breeding is secondary. I have the rays new 900 gallon home almost finished & it sits about 6 feet from 2 tanks of axolotls. on Tuesday I will be receiving the newest store display in an 11" frt. this is all to satisfy my hobby but to entice people to come to my shop. built in hobby & advertsing, doesn't get much better than this as long as it helps generate sales. so, some black & white rays may fit & my newest pups may help me pay for them. my fingers are crossed.
FYI about the FRT. There was 2 aquarium shops in Calgary that had their frt's confiscated by fish and wildlife. You would be best to keep it out of the public eye.

Last edited: