Food trainning

Rino

I just got my BBXB on dec 6 , and just wondering if any of you have any suggestions or trick to get him to start eating pellets and frozen food? He is only about 6, 7 inches , he eats the frozen/drued blood worm no problem , I don't wanna give him live food till he starts the pellets.

Thanks everyone
Merry Xmas

xbacala

1/ NO food for a week.
2/ Then try 1 or 2 pellets. If he does not eat, net the pellets out.
3/ Keep trying.

The key of rule is: PATIENT, PATIENT, PATIENT.....

Normally, this size of fish can't resit after 2 weeks. But if bigger fish, time may take 4 to 6 weeks.

I used to train my XB 15inch and took me almost 5 weeks.

Don't worry, your fish will be OK event no food for 3+ months.

bcarlos

I would recommend that you feed him whatever it is he's taking for now. Let him put on some size, then worry about training him onto pellets. I know some people say it helps to have other pellet eating fish in the tank. I've had some aro's that were a breeze to switch over. My current SR is a pain in the ass and will literally go months without eating if all I offer him is pellets. Agreed that the name of the game is patience.

Rino

thank you guys..i just like a parent give in..i know that the pellets are the best thing for him..thanks for the advice..ill see how it goes by the end of the week..

Rino

So its been 3 days and he will hit the pellets and then spit them out, any advice to get him to swallow?

B.Tig

What kind of pellets are you using?

You might want to soften the pellet a little by soaking it for a few minutes.

My crossback will usually take in pellets whole if it was soaked, but if it wasn't then it tends to grind it up and makes a huge mess.

But that is pretty good progress, soon it will learn to accept it.

Rino

I'm feeding him the small hikari food sticks... I usually soak them in garlic extract first.. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.. Usually I do it at night .. God I hope I don't give in.. Lol

T1KARMANN

my rule is EAT OR DIE no matter how expencive the fish is i have never had a fish die yet from starvation

i also dont stave i feed what you want the fish to eat every day and make sure you have good clean up fish like tinfoils

the fish will see the other fish eating then show intrest in the same food

only a foolish fish will starve to death when you offer food everyday

my kids hate peas but if thats all i offered them i know for sure they would eat them after 1 week of that being the only food on the table

its not fish who need to be trained its the owners as they normally give in 1st

The store had my juvie banjar red weaned on pellets for a few weeks, but I switched him over to a different brand of food and he was quite hesitant at first. I'm using the Hikari floating carnivore sticks and cichlid gold pellets, what I did was drop the pellets in and turn up the out put on my filter so the food moves quickly around along with the current. That way it simulated moving prey and my aro went straight after them, now he just eats the pellets as soon as they drop into the water. Also as stated before, arowanas a very intelligent fish who wouldn't be dumb enough to starve them selves to death. Just give your aro some time and be patient. All aros have different personalities and every aro takes its own time coming out of its shell, take my 4" banjar red for an example. Only had him for 4 days and he's completely use to the tank now.