help please!!!!

hugh

hello all, first i would like to say that this is a great arowana site. i been following this site for the last few months since i found it.
i have been keeping fish for 8 years now including salt water and a freshwater tank with a green arowana. i recently purchase an RTG and have it in a 150 gallon tank with tinted bare bottom. i bought my light home today and turn it on. the problem is now with the lights on i can see everything. i notice that there are lots of very little worm like white things swimming around on the bottom and on the sides and front of my tank. now i have never seen anything like this before. since my the bottom of my tank is tinted i have notice these little thing swimming around. they are relly small, you have to look very closely to see it. can anyone tell me what it is and is it going to harm my awowana? thanks in advance

senthus

I dont think you have to worry. I think you are referring to Planaria which is caused by uneatten food. They dont hurt your fish but is a sign of over feeding. If you do a google search, you can find out more about them

GRANDDRAGON

All you have to do is feed less and do more water chages and the population of the worms will go down. Hope this helps.

kookus

Yup water changes are the most important. These things from what I understand do not hurt your fish. I would also check your parameters just to see if there are any spikes.

Kenta

Administrator
Yup, sounds like nematodes...

Indicator of overfeeding and insufficient water changes/maintenance.... they are harmless but unsightly, a healthy tank will actually have a couple here and there but a explosion means something is off. More water changes!

hugh

thank-you for all the replies, it helps alot, i checked my water parameters and have 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, and 20ppm to 30ppm nitrate. my fish seems to be doing well and no sign of illness. i will be doing water changes 3 times a week instead of once so that i can get rid of these worms. here is more info on my tank. just to note that these little living things actually seem like they are jumping and not swimming.

-tank size: 2ft width and 2 ft high and 5ft length
-two 404 fluval canister filters
-1 hang on aquaclear
- 2 mj 1200 powerheads (turn very low to avoid strong water current for now)
-i will be adding an xp3 canister filter this weekend
-i have one 4" RTG, one 3"FF, two 3"indo tigers ( i have divided the tank in half so until the fish gets bigger, i didn't want to shock my RTG as he is still a baby and i just got him a week ago. i will post pics this weekend.

Last edited:

hugh

thanks for the replies, i am wondering if there is any chemicals that can get rid of this and if so, should i use chemicals? i don't really like to use chemicals unless i really really have to. i don't even use chemicals for my water that i use for WC because i have room so i age my water. Will turning up the temperature help at all?
i also have a 120 gallon tank that is tinted bottom with a green aro in there and never had this problem at all.

hugh

ok thanks, i won't be using any chemicals.i will going to do wc weekly still and less feeding. thanks all